EasyABC problem with different length first and second endings

EasyABC problem with different length first and second endings

I am transcribing a tune where the second ending is a bar longer than the first ending (which is two bars long). EasyABC only draws the line for the second ending as far as the end of the second bar. Thus the third bar has no line over it. Is this the default behaviour of EasyABC (or the abc-notation standard) or is there a way to force EasyABC to draw the longer line? Here are the notes:

|1B2BB G2AG | FEFG E3B :|2 B2BB G2AG | FEFG B2BB | G2AG FEFG ||

Thanks, Chet

Posted by .

Re: EasyABC problem with different length first and second endings

Use the %%rbmax formatting command to specify how many bars you want covered by the line. In your case, %%rbmax 3

This came up in a recent discussion. See here: https://thesession.org/discussions/46061#comment920408

Using the online converter at:

http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php

It drew the line over the entire three bars of the second ending using this test:

X: 1
T: Test
R: reel
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: Dmix
|de|:fede cAGa|1B2BB G2AG | FEFG E3B :|2 B2BB G2AG | FEFG B2BB | G2AG FEFG ||

Thanks for the help. When I imported the abc-file into MuseScore it drew the line for the second ending correctly (I don’t use MuseScore — this was just done out of curiosity.).

I have a second question, which is probably answered in the discussion Ben refers me too, but which I can’t follow. Is there anyway to indicate with abc that a tune of, e.g. two parts each of which is repeated, is repeated (as we normally do but don’t indicate in our transcriptions)?

Posted by .

I think so.

I can’t remember the details though. Look up about ‘Parts’ in the ABC spec.

try a bracket at the end.

|1B2BB G2AG | FEFG E3B :|2 B2BB G2AG | FEFG B2BB | G2AG FEFG |]

I think the answers to both questions are buried in the previous discussion linked above.

Display of the endings is to do with abcm2ps. It works properly in the latest version but not some earlier ones. If you download the latest version and tell EasyABC to use it things should work.

The way of specifying repeats of the parts is the P: command. Use P: before each part to give it a single uppercase letter identifier and have a P: in the header (put it before the K: line) with the letters in the sequence you want them.

Thanks again for your help. I’ve learned quite a bit that I didn’t know about abc-notation. The directive %%rbmax doesn’t work in EasyABC, but if I can find it to install, I’ll try the latest version of abcm2ps. Putting a ] doesn’t make any difference. Using the P: command in the header section works well in EasyABC, but, curiously, doesn’t import into MuseScore (which does get %%rbmax correctly). Chet

Posted by .

Thanks, Ben. I’m impressed with the way you keep on top of this stuff.

Posted by .

Update: I’ve installed the latest version of abcm2ps and the problem with the ignored %%rbmax direction is no more! Thanks, Ben

Posted by .