Blue Horse set

Re: Blue Horse set

First tune is Arthur Darley’s (aka The Swedish Jig). I don’t recognize the others (guessing one of them might be titled “Blue Horse” 😉 Niamh is quite a composer, so I wouldn’t be surprised if at least one of the other tunes was written by her…)

Thanks, Reverend.
I came cross the audio clip on an Internet radio station (Ceol FM) - which I can recommend to those not familiar with it. I know I’d heard the first tune but you know what it’s like when you can’t put a name to it . . .
Further research needed on subsequent bits of the set.

Posted by .

I asked a friend. He says that the other tunes are:

The Sail-Maker’s Wife
Muineira de Pontesampaio (Carlos Nunez penned tune)

I don’t have a clue Bazza, but a good post. I always feel as a fiddler that I want to give credit to any guitarist with such sensitivity to the the music, and that’s the bit I enjoyed in this video.

Posted by .

Reverend: ‘(guessing one of them might be titled “Blue Horse”’

‘O Cabalo Azul’ is an alternate title for Muiñeira de Pontesampaio.

“Muineira de Pontesampaio (Carlos Nunez penned tune)”

I think the tune is older than that. He may have plyed a part in popularising it (certainly outside Galicia), but it appears in a Gaita tutor and is not credited to Carlos Nuñez (see comment https://thesession.org/tunes/6660#comment257989 ).

Thanks, Creadur. I guess I need to polish up on my Galician 😉 And it wouldn’t surprise me that Carlos was just the one who made it popular (along the lines of all the tunes named “Tommy Peoples’”, which he didn’t actually write).