Tune suggestions for a jig and a reel

Tune suggestions for a jig and a reel

Hello lovely people 🙂

I decided on taking my first online lesson for some help.

Before I start, I have to learn one jig and one reel by memory.

Can you all suggest a good beginner tune for each? Keep in mind I’m not good with any ornamentation yet but looking for a good couple of pieces that are beginner level to practice some new techniques and get started.

Thanks 🙏

Re: Tune suggestions for a jig and a reel

Lilting banshee is a great suggestion as you can play it with no ornamentation, but lots of great places to learn where to add rolls to etc.

I’m not sure about bird in the bush if you’re a new player as it might be quite complicated to learn?
Mountain road isn’t as interesting, but a common suggestion as a beginner reel + the a parts and b parts repeat so easier to get your head round? Might be worth a look:
https://thesession.org/tunes/68

The first reel (single reel, to be more accurate) I often teach a brand new student is Gorman’s: https://thesession.org/tunes/1540

Which setting, Reverend?

Posted by .

I reckon Nigel’s suggestion for Johnny McIljohn’s reel would be about as simple as you could get, yet it’s not a bad little tune.

Posted by .

It dawned on me that I just posted the audio of Irish musicians playing reels at what is beyond the beginner level on a thread asking about beginner tunes. How stupid am I? It’s no-doubt an excellent example of how to play "Gorman’s Reel" but it’s not a lesson version for someone learning their first reel.

ArcticAlien, I’m sure Reverend’s suggestion is a good reel for someone starting out. I hope you’re not overwhelmed by the recording I posted. It’s brilliant but I should have considered your needs. If you decide to learn the tune pace yourself, start with the base setting, keep it steady, don’t get rushed or try to match everything the masters’ are doing. A good tune, a well played tune begins with the basics & you improve over time.
I hope this helps your learning process & I’ll try not to jump ahead too much next time a new player asks this question.

Posted by .

That’s a nice setting of Gorman’s that I hadn’t heard before, AB! That’s the tune that I often teach first. The good news is that you can slow that video down in the settings (even when it’s playing here and not on YouTube). At 50% speed, it might be good for a beginner to try to pick it up. 😀

Glad to hear you like it, Reverend. Good suggestion about slowing it down. I only realised after posting that the recording may not be helpful for a beginner so it’s great to have your input.

Posted by .

"That’s a nice setting of Gorman’s that I hadn’t heard before, AB!"

This is interesting! It’s probably a sign that session repertoire isn’t always that global. I’m not familiar with the album (other than by name), but the version matches the ones on my other recordings as well as my generic session version. Almost note-for-note.

It’s basically the same setting I play (which I originally got from a Stockton’s Wing recording, if I remember correctly), but I thought the playing was quite nice. 🙂

Ah, I see.