I love this set of tunes by The Tap Room Trio

I love this set of tunes by The Tap Room Trio

https://open.spotify.com/track/5gdsaf2FkESJeMDyUBXqtb
"The Sweet Flowers of Milltown / Gorman’s"
Harry Bradley, Jesse Smith, and John Blake
Hope you do too!
Do you have something you just heard & you love it?
Post it if it’s available for sharing/linking.

Cheers!

Posted by .

Re: I love this set of tunes by The Tap Room Trio

Cheers, Conical bore.

Posted by .

A distinct flavour of "Off to California" very nice!

Posted by .

Yes Twiz I noticed that and ‘Gorman’s’ had a definite touch of ‘Love will you Marry Me’ or ‘Some say the Devil’s Dead’ about it.

But what about the flute playing? I’m sure it may be like something else but I think it is what it is. The players are good together. I never thought of those other tunes at all.

Posted by .

To me each tune is not just the sum of it’s parts. A tune is not just common motifs. The bits of a tune can make a novel variant. But a "tune" stands on it’s own when it’s played.
I love ‘this’ set of tunes by The Tap Room Trio!

Posted by .

Yes a great set played by accomplished musicians and of course it is what it is but so is everything. To me it is a another take on a couple of traditional tunes, or a the very least a nod in their direction.
No criticism intended.

Posted by .

In case anyone doesn’t know, the second flute player is John Blake, who is mainly accompanist on guitar and piano throughout this recording.
Sleeve notes say this of the second tune [ which is "Gorman’s" reel played as a schottische ] :
"The second tune was inspired by a fine setting of Gorman’s reel heard from Dublin flute player and archivist Mick O’Connor."
I posted a recording on "Youtube" of Mick O’Connor and Seamus MacMathuna playing "Gorman’s", [ titled as "Johnny Henry’s"] - spot the difference 🙂
https://youtu.be/Z-hhWnrbeK4

Posted by .

Nice tunes spoiled by the ten-thumbed pianist. Why do people still insist that the keyboard has a place in Irish instrumentals? Only North Cregg have integrated the keyboard successfully, and he plays the melody rather than vamping the chords.

Here’s a French band called Shelta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrJ4_RIizFQ

"To me it is a another take on a couple of traditional tunes, or a the very least a nod in their direction."
Whenever we play "Willafjord" I hear my friend playing another tune. It’s not trad. Can you guess what he’s playing? It blends right in.

Posted by .

"lukegarry" - are you sure you posted on the right thread ? Where’s the "ten-thumbed pianist" you refer to in the clips posted above ? Both recordings are flute duets, not a keyboard in sight or sound anywhere.
And what does your French band have to do with anything here ?

Posted by .

Hi Kenny,

Apologies to you, the musicians and everyone else. I’ve obviously got this one wrong. It must have been another set that was here two or three days ago or on YouTube.

Luke

Lovely pure unadulterated ITM

Luke, you may have been listening to another track if you were using my spotify link. I like the piano player though on the other tracks.
Ben

Posted by .

Tap Room Trio are stunningly lovely, both the trio and their CD. It’s so very true rendition of trad music as *dance* music.

Pity the CD is sold out. I tried to buy one, but no luck so far.

@AB thanks for starting this thread.

Posted by .

@Mars

The CD is available, but not cheaply (except the used one), from sellers at Amazon.com, and one in the Czech Republic on discogs.com . I suppose cost & potential difficulty getting to your location might be an issue, though.

Credit also due for the feet-tapping on the second tune by the dancer, Seosamh Ó Neachtáin. A key part of the character of this recording.
There are lots of videos on youtube of him doing steps, including this great 38 minute track posted three weeks ago (only 139 views so far), which also includes him playing box. Other musicians include Erin McGeown, Mairéad Hurley & John Blake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A9_pN-dXjI

Harry Bradley’s comment on this track in the Tap Room CD notes" "Another friend makes an appearance here; Connemara man Seosamh Ó Neachtáin throws a step in his own irrepressible style."

Posted by .