Lucky 13

Lucky 13

Anybody have any experience with the Lucky 13 … 13 hole harmonica … in trad? I think it’s made for Brendan Power by Easttop. Sounds and seems to play well enough for other genres. I play my Irish Session Harp regularly now and it works just fine, but I heard the Lucky 13 today and wonder if it has a place in trad. For obvious reasons I made no effort to play one myself and we weren’t playing ITM. The owner was a stranger to me and was firmly entrenched in the 12 bar so there was little in common in our styles. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Lucky 13

I’ve got two of them (one in C, one in G) and have conflicting feelings about them. On the one hand, the sound is amazing and the response is incredibly tight. Other than these I play only a couple of Seydel "session steel" harps, and the Lucky 13 has way more "power" - hard to explain exactly what that means. They’re much louder, less air leakage, faster response. The only drawback is, unfortunately, kind of a biggie: they don’t have the folded combs that Seydel uses, but use the Hohner-style cover plates instead. Playing slow stuff is fine, but when I play fast reels and jigs for more than 10 minutes or so I get sores on my lips, which is really a dealbreaker. So for one-off stuff like studio recordings they’re great, but for sessions and gigs I stick to my Seydels.

Here’s a demo of a few tunes on the Lucky 13, just to give you an idea of the sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTwV-_X-rzY

The sound though! Great playing Tinj

Posted by .

Wow, I never realized until reading this thread that a harmonica is a type of harp. In listening to them, I always thought they were different, and never would have connected the 2. But a quick Google search shows that a harmonica is also known as a French harp or blues harp.
(Not the point, I know. The sound on that YouTube clip is great).

those low notes sound really good on Cliffs of Moher - think I might try a Lucky 13

Whimbrel: "I never realized until reading this thread that a harmonica is a type of harp."

A blues harp is a type of harp only in the sense that a jazz cat is a type of cat.

That’s a super clip of music Tijn, really enjoyed it!

Thanks CMO, I thought that might be the case. So when people refer to harmonicas as "harps" it seems like it’s short for blues harp?

Or ‘mouth harp’ or, as above, ‘French harp’. ‘Mouth harp’ seemed/seems to be a common term in the American South, as I understand; hence, its particular association with Blues.

Really interesting, thanks!

Sorry for the detour but since I already put my foot in it here’s the man himself. Kim Wilson singing "My Babe". Harmonica starts @ 2m57s.
https://youtu.be/T9ik2KUwIWU

Posted by .

Thanks AB, and no worries, I’ll take responsibility for starting the original derail on this one.
(Can I just point out that once I hit the Post button, there will be 13 posts… 1 OP and 12 replies!)

Well, I just want to add how much I enjoyed the rendition. It answers a recent post about evaluating one’s own musicianship. No words needed.

Posted by .

thanks AB - I love it when the Blues shows up in the Session!

Your playing is amazing Tijn. I have seen a few of your other video’s but thicko wot I am, even though your name is on them, I never twigged that that was yourself. I highly recommend to anybody who hasn’t checked out Tijn’s YouTube site to do so . It is mind boggling top class stuff. Bye the way Whimbrel, the ‘harp type noise’ you hear is a bouzouki, which Tijn is playing at the very same time.

Posted by .

What Gobby said times 10. And a climate scientist to boot! Wonder what he does in his spare time? No - I don’t want to know.

Posted by .

Wow, I hadn’t realized that one could play both instruments at the same time. That is cool!

Yes, great playing, Tijn Berends. To play an instrument well is a great thing; to play two instruments at a time is an impressive feat; to play two instruments WELL is outstanding.