Some easy Cajun tunes?

Some easy Cajun tunes?

Hi!
I’ve recently listened to some Cajun tunes lately and I found that I liked it.
Does anyone know some beginner tunes for the fiddle? Either on
recordings, or on ABC? I fancy it should be kind of hard to create
ABCs of that kind of music, and certainly to learn it just by listening
to ABC. Anyway, if you can reckommend me s.th, let me know!
Thanx……….Jens

Re: Some easy Cajun tunes?

Hmmmmm, Cajun tunes… Here? Well I’ll jump in the boat with you, I’d like to know a few =P

There’s a rounder CD called Cajun Dance Hall Special, (Rounder CD 11570), for which a transcription of the fiddle parts exists in a book of the same name published by Mel Bay. They are not ‘easy’ tunes, although they ARE easy tunes. i.e. there are few technically demanding parts - but getting them to sound like proper cajun music requires a real feel for that sort of music. You’d probably find it easier to forget the book and just try to learn off the record - everything is in regular type keys and tuning…..

Ou est Tanya?

Que?

I’ve yet to hear a cajun tune though I’ve heard cajun albums: all I registered was rhythm and noise. It probably frightens the alligators.

Oooo, that was harsh, nicholas.

Cajun fiddle is great fun! I played for several years in a band that featured a lot of Cajun songs and tunes. I mainly played guitar, but also some fiddle. The technical level is similar to old-time, but as Ottery said, getting the right feel is the thing. You have to live with it for a while.

Check out the training video by Michael Doucet (Homespun Tapes) and find some Balfa Brothers albums.

There is a book by Cajun fiddler Raymond E. Francois titled "Ye Yaille, Chere!" that contains the sheet music for over 400 tunes. Plus it has lots of stories about the music and how it was inspired. It also contains many lyrics that have been translated from French into English. The Cajuns refer to this text as ‘The Big Yellow Book’, and it is published by Swallow Publications. Available from Amazon.

most Cajun tunes are ‘easy’ in a purely melodic sense its getting the drive and ornamentation on accordian and fiddle that’s the tricky part. What! I just noticed this discussion started 14 years ago!