Last Night’s Fun, Ciaran Carson

Last Night’s Fun, Ciaran Carson

Hey all

I’m curious about the thoughts folks here have about this book, the memoir of Ciaran Carson, Last Night’s Fun.

As a Belfast man I remember Ciaran fondly as one of the brighter characters in the city with an infectious passion for words and for music.

I read this book last year and it’s what got me hooked on playing the music myself.

Has anyone else had a look at it, what is the general consensus or your personal thoughts/feelings about it?

Re: Last Night’s Fun, Ciaran Carson

Loved it.

I wonder if I’ve still got my copy - it’s quite a few years since I read it.

Posted by .

It was recommended to me when I was just starting out, along with Barry Foy’s Field Guide, and both books did a good job of making me even more interested in the music. (One of my sessions has pooled our tips for many years, and we use the money for things that benefit the session… We bought several copies of those books to lend out to new people that were starting to get serious about the music…) I just looked, and can’t find my copies of either of those books. It might be time to order them again!

I finally got around to reading it just last year (having heard about it for a long time).

I thought is was …grand. It didn’t blow me away but I certainly didn’t hate it. I’ve heard it can be a bit of a marmite book, with strongly-held opinions in both directions.

What I liked was that it was very much its own thing. Not quite an autobiography. Not quite a history. Not quite anything really. And I got the distinct impression that it didn’t care what you thought about it. I admire that. But ultimately I’d say that’s my over-riding feeling: I admire the book more than, say, love it.

That’s just me though. And I totally get why someone would love it. If you go with it, I could easily imagine Last Night’s Fun being someone’s favourite book.

It’s a great book, writing about music may be "like fishing about architecture" but LNF is possibly the best book about music I’ve ever read, entertaining, often funny, and informative. And poetic.

I find it hard to imagine anyone reading it without wanting to play "the music."

I recommend this book. It seems very Irish (I’m not) in it’s sensibility and humor. The pig-farmer story, alone, is worth the price of admission. As a flute player, I find it particularly appealing and enlightening. Since the chapters are only very loosely connected, you can pick up the book randomly and read a chapter to instantly transport to Ireland. Since I can only speak for myself, I can say if you are a born and raised American, you should absolutely own this book. It really does put into words what cannot be said.

Posted by .

Excellent book, paints a great picture of life in Ireland and her music. I knew Ciarán well and played music with him , a unique character with a great sense of humour and a great love for our music.

I like the pig farmer story but I like the story of the three fiddlers at the fleadh even more! (As well as the fleadh that the competitors didn’t know they were playing in!)