Considering emmigrating to New York, can anyone help?

Considering emmigrating to New York, can anyone help?

I’m looking into the possibility of emmigrating to New York and was hoping someone may have some advice WRT the following:
1) Getting a Visa
2) Finding work -
I am currently working in Personnel for a shipping company and also hold numerous sailing instructing qualifications. Ideally I am looking for work in shipping, maritime leisure or hotel services.
3) Finding a boat to crew on to do some yacht racing…. and
4) FINDING THE RIGHT SESSIONS!!!

Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks
Jen

Re: Considering emmigrating to New York, can anyone help?

They don’t want you to go …

Who doesn’t? The Yanks?

Hi there,

There are loads of Irish in Queens and The Bronx, and I know that many of them don’t have any kind of visa at all. Many just come over and are able to find work through connections and friends that they have over here…there are many labor jobs, and jobs in the fields that you’ve listed, that will take on workers without visas.

One way to get a visa is to get a company to sponsor you - the company will hire you and apply for a US work visa for you.

The drawback with coming over on just a tourist visa is that if you overstay your visa, you can’t leave the country. They will ban you for ten years. It happened to some friends of mine.

Good luck!
Cara

Thanks Cara,

I’d heard similar stories from friends of mine too. Was just wondering if there was another way! Don’t fancy the prospect of being banned for 10 years!!

If you haven’t already done so, I recommend you go onto the US Embassy’s website: www.usembassy.org.uk and click on the small blue link "visas" at the bottom of the homepage. You probably know that the most common way get a visa application approved is to have an employer in the States who has offered you a job there, who will make the visa application for you, but you can read all about that on the website. The other way is to go in on a non immigrant visa for up to 90 days, you then have to come out again before the 90 days is up, stay out for a specified time, then you can go back again on another 90 day non immigrant visa. In theory, if you can afford the return air fares (you can’t just pop across the border to Canada!) every three months, you can carry on doing this for ever. As for other ways….I don’t know!!

Good luck.

Jane R

Posted by .

Marriage is also used as a legal means of emigration.