Tune Name

Tune Name

I’d appreciate it if someone could tell me what this tune is?
I think it’s a schottische or some such.

M:4/4
L:1/8
K:G
D2 | G>FG>A B>A B2 | A>G A2 B>c d2 | e2e2 d>B G2 | G>FG>B A>F D2 |
G>FG>A B>A B2 | A>G A2 B>c d2 | e2e2 d>BG>A | B2 A2 G2 :|
B>c| d2 d2 e4 | G>FG>B d4 | c>Bc>e d>B G2 | G>FG>B A>F D2 |
d2 d2 e4 | G>FG>B d4 | c>Bc>e d>BG>A | B2 A2 G2 :|

Thanks.

Re: Tune Name

Thanks, Dave. Yes, there is a similarity but I don’t think it’s close enough to be the one.
If it’s any help, it’s an English tune. Though I can’t say which part of the country it’s from

I’ve since been told it’s one of Scan Tester’s untitled schottisches but I haven’t been able to find anything matching it on the internet. I’ve listened to all seven of his numbered schottisches and a number of untitled ones, but none fit. Does anyone know a comprehensive anthology of Scan Tester’s tunes that might have it?

@Muircheartaigh: I shall have to play it to my Scan Tester aficionado friend and see if he recognises it. Where did you encounter it?

A friend of mine recorded it some time back from (he thinks) a Greenwich english session. I learned it from him and added it to my ABC files. He’s the one who, from what he could recall, suggested Scan Tester. I like listening to various renditions of tunes on YouTube but I couldn’t find this one anywhere. It will be grand if your Scan Tester aficionado can come up with the info.

As you probably know, Scan Tester was a concertina player from Sussex, many of whose tunes (i.e. tunes learned from his repertoire) are well known on the English trad scene, but particularly in SE England, where he is regarded as one of the ‘patriarchs’ of the local music tradition – so no surprise that they’d be playing his tunes in Greenwich.

While digging around for info on this tune I came qcross an interesting snippet that explains Scan Testers numbers for his tunes. It was all the BBC’s fault. He was being interviewed and playing a few tunes, and the BBC wanted to know the names. Scan didn’t know their names so they got listed by number - and the numbers stuck.