Favourite solo trad albums?

Favourite solo trad albums?

After listening to Cormac Begley’s brilliant eponymous solo concertina album I want to listen to more solo trad albums, and by solo I mean one instrument (the same one) on each track. The Liffey Banks by Tommy Potts is another great album in the same vein. What are your favourites?

Re: Favourite solo trad albums?

Yes The Liffey Banks by Tommy Potts is excellent
Not sure that being strictly solo is really all that important
I would recommend anything with Kevin Burke (solo or otherwise) ditto Martin Hayes ditto Eileen Ivers
In fact I think one of Kevin Burke’s solo albums has also got Martin Hayes playing on it

"Not sure that being strictly solo is really all that important" - not necessarily but it’s what I’m after! I think it really shows off the tune and instrument when there is only one instrument playing.

Conal O’Grada: Cnoc Bui

Liam O’Flynn: The Fine Art of Pipering

Danny Meehan: Drimalost And Beyond - Traditional Music From Donegal

Joe Ryan: An Buachaill Dreoite

Oisín Mac Diarmada Ar An Bhfidil : https://thesession.org/recordings/285
About half of the tunes are fiddle solo.
And by the way, Cormac Begley’s solo album is brilliant.

Ego Trip by MacDara Ó Raghallaigh is probably exactly the sort of thing you’re looking for, even though he plays viola instead of fiddle on a few tracks… (Edited to add, of course Cormac is playing on different concertinas on his album, too!)

Eileen OBRIEN Aon le Aon is an excellent CD

Typo Aon le H’aon

"he plays viola "
Are you sure about that? My understanding is that he plays a tuned down fiddle - it’s been a while since the case and liner notes got wrecked in a flood, but I didn’t think he played viola…

Posted by .

Now that I check it, the playing (at least on the Home Ruler track) is down four steps from concert pitch. (Tune is in Bb rather than D.) I suppose a fiddle tuned down four steps might make more sense than a viola tuned up three steps? Since I was not present for the recording, and the online liner notes don’t say, I withdraw my comment.

None of which changes it being a fantastic live one-person album.

As mentioned earlier, there are not a whole lot of solo trad albums. This is about the only one I have, with some great fiddling:
Crystal Clear by Jerry Holland:
https://thesession.org/recordings/1664

The Drones and the Chanters - Irish piping with Seamus Ennis, Leo Rowsome, Willie Clancy and others - its solo inasmuch as each piper plays unaccompanied so every track is just pipes.

Kenny gave the links to The Drones and The Chanters in his first post on this thread, christy. Good shout though.

Jackie Daly “Music From Sliabh Luachra.” This was the first album I got into when I decided I needed to hear polkas and slides by a proper player (as opposed to generic sounding, tune learning recordings).

https://thesession.org/recordings/212

If you like Flute, Desi Wilkinson has amazing albums

I would recommend John Cunningham’s "Fair Warning." I would also recommend Kevin Burke’s "If the Cap Fits." Both have great examples of solid traditional playing. Other tunes exhibit delightful, artful playfulness that tease that tradition, but from a wizened perspective.

Eileen Ivers’ early "Fresh Takes" collaboration with John Whelan also has a mix of tunes that either hew to the tradition or use the tradition as a stepping of point for what I consider a youthful itch to be improvisational.

Press and Draw by Benny McCarthy

Donald K, yes I missed that Kenny already posted Drones and the Chanters, should have checked more carefully.
Anyway just remembered another one, Clare Concertinas by O’ Sullivan and McMahon, it was a Topic lp in the 70’s but reissued as a cd. A few duets but plenty of solo concertina.

Brid O’Donohue - Tobar An Dúchais: Solo Traditional Irish Tin Whistle Music From County Clare.

Lovely playing (title means The Well of Tradition, I think)

https://thesession.org/recordings/2129

Posted by .

For the concertina aficionados, Denise Shiels Champions of Ireland Concertina and Mary MacNamara Note for Note. I bought the first one so long ago it was on cassette. The Shiels recording is kinda old fashioned like the Paddy Murphy and Clare Concertinas recording mentioned above. I got it when I was first starting with the concertina and it was great being able to just hear the instrument solo. I play lots of those tunes still

“In Retrospect” by Danny O’Mahony is great, really terrific music on the button accordion.

Loads of suggestions here, thanks everyone. Can’t wait to get stuck into them. I wonder is it too much to ask for a solo banjo album? Never heard of one myself.

For solo banjo, I’d recommend Kieran Hanrahan’s.

I bought Eileen O’Brien’s CD Aon le h’Aon on the back of gooseinthenettles recommendation. Just arrived today and it’s brilliant, great playing and great tunes.

Also just bought Mac Dara Ó Raghallaigh’s album ‘Ego Trip’ - jesus the playing on that is electric.

Tara Howley’s CD ‘Take One’ is amazing! Hard to find nowadays, but give her a message on Facebook or on Instagram and she might have some copies available. Amazing playing all round
https://thesession.org/recordings/4963

I don’t think many people know about Tommy Peoples’ Live at Fiddler’s Hearth recording but for me it is a must have. The playing is brilliant and all the little subtleties in his playing are clearly audible. His introductions are a lot of fun.

For solo flute, Jossie McDermott: Darby’s Farewell.

Posted by .