DADGAD Chords

DADGAD Chords

Hello,
The second dumb question of mine…
I’ve been playing guitar in standard tuning, I don’t know for how long, but I think quite well (but, I have to say, only for accompanying my own singing, and only for myself, my family and friends). Now I thought I’d start something new, only for kind of an experiment, and try out DADGAD tuning. Where I live, I have no one around who could show it to me, so I had to look up the web, and now I’m confused: I found some sites with chords, but it seems that every single site has different fingerings for one and the same chord!
So I wanted to ask you (even if it’s silly, but I don’t know who to ask else) what in your opinion is best. Are there really good chord patterns you use, or (because I heard it somewhere), is it best to try out what works and find the chords for myself?
Thank you in advance!
PS: Please, stick away from all that ”is DADGAD useful"- stuff - there are other discussion about it, and, as I said, it shall only be kind of an experiment! Oh, and please forgive me, if something like this has already been asked. I looked through old discussion about this topic, but didn’t find exactly what I’m looking for.

Re: DADGAD Chords

I’m not sure if by "fingerings" you mean shapes or fingerings but, just as in standard tuning, in DADGAD there are many different ways to play the basic chords and many different ways to finger them.
In any tuning, which shapes you use and how you finger them will depend on many factors: purpose, progression, efficient finger movement, finger picked versus strummed, etc.
Experiment and see what suits you and your style of playing.

Thank you, I think I will do this ;)

I took a years+ worth of DADGAD with Deirdre Galway of the group Réalta during the current Covid era. She is absolutely a top-notch instructor and I recommend her highly. Whether you take one lesson or more, a good instructor will clarify the many variations and techniques that a good DADGAD player uses.

deirdregalway@googlemail.com

I have a DADGAD chord fingering chart with some notes about backing tunes in different modes I put together a lifetime ago:

http://michaeleskin.com/handouts/DADGAD.pdf

My patterns assume use of a capo at the root key fret as required.

If you have different sources rcommending different shapes for the same chord, why not try them all and find which ones sound best? Ultimately, the more ways you have of playing each chord, the wider your palette for variation within a given harmonic framework and you may find that *all* of the suggested shapes are useful in the right context.

Thank you, I think now it will work;)