PSA: Facebook groups are not public, please post your session updates elsewhere too, or provide some other form of contact

PSA: Facebook groups are not public, please post your session updates elsewhere too, or provide some other form of contact

Again and again and again: I find a session, and the website in the description is a facebook link. To see whether the session is alive, I click, and since I don’t have a FB account, "please login to see what’s in there" is all I see. Then I message the guy who posted the session here at TSO, but they don’t reply, because somehow no one replies to TSO messages.

Please, don’t make "agree to Facebook’s terms of service and feed them your personal data" a prerequisite for visiting your session. Post updates elsewhere, someplace where everyone could see them (we have a nice yellow website for that, BTW!), or at least publish an email address which you actually read.

That would be really helpful.

Re: PSA: Facebook groups are not public, please post your session updates elsewhere too, or provide some other form of contact

I heartily concur!

That said, I also understand how Facebook has a low barrier-to-entry for anyone running a session who doesn’t want to have to deal with techy stuff.

Still, if people posted updates to Facebook *and* here on thesession.org, that would be great.

I’m hoping that since I added the feature to get notified by email of any new comments on sessions/tunes/discussions, etc. that people running sessions will make use of that for their sessions listed here. That way when someone posts a comment on The Session they’ll get an email about it instead of having to check back here periodically.

Re: PSA: Facebook groups are not public, please post your session updates elsewhere too, or provide some other form of contact

100% this. Have worked very hard within our Comhaltas branch *NOT* to have Facebook pivotal in communicating or sharing any activity information.

Unfortunately WhatsApp is almost the only show in town for group messaging and that is our ‘announcement’ board.

@gbyrne, if you want to try another group messaging app which is not Facebook and also better, try Telegram. It has what Whatsapp has and more: proper desktop & web clients which don’t require your phone to be on, the ability to hide and change your phone number, out-of-app backup of your data, announcement-only channels, phone app does not require access to your contact list, etc, etc…

But for announcements, maybe having a good ole mailing list would be a good solution. As in - have Whatsapp chat or Facebook group or whatever, but *also* post important updates to a mailing list. That’s not so hard, and won’t force anyone to use any specific product.

Artyom - Aware of Telegram. And Signal. WhatsApp is now ubiquitous. Just don’t think its practical (in Ireland at least) to try to insist on all members installing yet another messaging/social app.

iMessage is walled garden. Same for Google Messages. SMS is cumbersome (and expensive). Mailing Lists == email which is dying too. WhatsApp is instant, allows media to be shared and for members to respond in real time.

I occasionally use Whatsapp but I’ll write something, a keyword, in a Whatsapp message and then go to YouTube only to find that Google has somehow used that key word to supply me with vids on a similar theme.
Not sure how that works, Whatsapp is meant to be end-to-end encryption?
Whatever, it’s a lot better than Facebook.

I find this unbelievable, you expect other people to jump through hoops to satisfy your objection to creating a facebook account, just be grateful they posted the session on this site in the first place, at least you have some knowledge that a session possibly exist.

Once you put the same data in two different places, the only thing that can happen is that one of the sources will become invalid, people organising sessions have enough to do trying to keep the people they know updated and informed, without worrying about the rest of the world.

ps. Facebook owns Whatsapp.

It all depends how well they want to advertise their session. If they have enough people going along, that’s fine.

However, if you want to get information out there for whatever purpose…. session, gig, etc, it’s a good idea to try and cover all your bases.

I always post in-person session info here and on Facebook.

As I’m hosting and participating in many of Zoom session events these days, Facebook has been a effective way to get the event info in front of a lot of people quickly as well as send out invitations directly to the players I’d like to have attend.

I’ve never been on Facebook (because I know how the sausage is made), and I appreciate anyone who manages to get information out without using that platform. People who use FB as a primary promotion and information platform don’t seem to realize how this locks out a percentage of the population who avoid FB like the plague.

FWIW, email and the occasional SMS message seem to be the more common way for people to stay in touch in my area. The players are mostly older, and email is still a thing with the older crowd.

For in-person sessions, I also send out emails to the local players not on Facebook.

In contrast, for online Zoom events, the same people who don’t use Facebook also in my experience mostly don’t do Zoom sessions either, so I don’t generally bother sending out emails for Zoom events.

I have a FB account so I don’t care!

Seriously, it’s far easier to update continuously and that’s presumably why venues and sessioneers use it .
It’s one of the good reasons to use FB.

Posted by .

@Theirlandais

"you expect other people to jump through hoops to satisfy your objection" - wait, what?

This is a reminder that people without FB accounts do exist, and, if anything, comments here are a confirmation of this fact. If you as a session organizer want these people to show up, give them a chance to reach you!

Ironically enough, this happens very often to sessions in various faraway places, where people are usually very happy to see new faces. If anyone from Buenos Aires is reading this, I failed to get in contact with you guys a couple of years ago for this exact reason. If anyone from Budapest is reading this - kudos for updating the TSO page and providing a link to the webside of the venue (hope to see you guys in late October!), but I still could not contact you 🙂

And kudos to all session organizers who maintain a webpage, or keep the TSO page updated, or reply to PMs and emails. You rock!

But of course, @Theirlandais, you don’t have to do that if you don’t want to. You’re a free human being and you do your own, and so do I. Peace!

Well, some people are also without, or don’t engage in, the internet.
a chacun son gout

Posted by .

Artyom Kireev, thanks for your post!
I too do not and I WILL NOT have a Facebook account, Twitter account, Whatsup account, or ad nausium account!

Forums like The Session and C&F should be used to put out the word. I have other hobbies and get my hobby specific information from forums that deal with that specific hobby. I don’t need nor do I want the intrusion of those "social media" companies in my life.

I’ve been finding it more difficult to access Facebook lately, as a non-member - whether they’ve made policy changes or they’ve just taken a dislike to me, I don’t know ……

I don’t know how often the public option is used on Facebook. It depends on how the person starting the group sets it up.

Posted by .

My virtual session Facebook group is public and I can see it without being signed into Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/345630819944098

Excellent!

Posted by .

Don’t make me regret it. 🙂

It’s your choice, Mr. Eskin. I appreciate the public aspect but it’s not about me. It’s about people who may find information about the group useful and they have access.

Posted by .

I’ve never seen that before Michael. I like it.

Posted by .

It’s the Facebook group for:

http://michaeleskin.com/session

This has encouraged me to add comments to a couple of old session listings on here, that I’ve discovered are still running, incase others are also looking in this area.

Hey Michael, that’s really cool! Your FB group indeed can be opened without a FB account, at least on desktop (on mobile I was greeted by nothing but a "please login" page, as usual).

This, *and* the webpage. I wish every other session was like that 🙂

One is on Facebook.
It’s a good way of keeping track of the people one is acquainted with.
It’s also a good way of promoting any gigs one has!
And sharing music, pictures, videos.
It entertains.
One can’t see why anyone would avoid it!
Check out Yhaal House on FB!

What does ‘PSA’ mean?

I reckon PSA probably means something like Public State Announcement, the fact that there are probably a very very limited number of people that will read the discussion, makes the Public and State a little redundant, you need to go onto Facebook for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAfCQ-t7xY0

I do the publicity for our small club: I send announcements both to our email list and to our Facebook page: the majority of our members and followers are on Facebook, but some aren’t or just use it rarely. Happy?
PSA - has an entirely different meaning to anyone in medical circles!

So that’s two possible meanings for PSA. What about TSO?
I looked it up and found various possibilities:

TSO Time Sharing Option
TSO Telecommunications Service Order
TSO The Stationery Office (UK)
TSO Trans-Siberian Orchestra (band)
TSO Transportation Security Officer
TSO Toronto Symphony Orchestra (Canada)
TSO Technical Standard Order
TSO Trattamento Sanitario Obbligatorio (Italian: Compulsory Health Treatment)
TSO Technical Support Organization (various organizations)
TSO Tokyo Symphony Orchestra (Japan)
TSO The Sims Online (gaming)
TSO Toledo Symphony Orchestra (Toledo, OH)
TSO Tcp Segmentation Offload
TSO Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra
TSO Transmission System Operator (energy)
TSO Teamspeak Overlay (gaming)
TSO Texas State Optical (Houston, Texas)
TSO The Sith Order (Roblox)
TSO Technisch Secundair Onderwijs (Dutch)
TSO Time Schedule Order (various locations)
TSO The Shadow Odyssey (gaming; EverQuest)
TSO Time Since Overhaul
TSO Telecommunications Service Obligations (New Zealand)
TSO The Special One (nickname of Jose Mourinho)
TSO Trading Standards Officer
TSO Temporary Suspension Order (various locations)
TSO Technical Support Office
TSO Total Shares Outstanding
TSO Trondheim Symphony Orchestra (Norway)
TSO Trichuris Suis Ova (pig whipworm eggs)
TSO Total Store Ordering (SPARC architecture consistency model)
TSO Taipei Symphony Orchestra (Taiwan)
TSO Technical Service Order
TSO Technical Services Operations
TSO Turn Stuff Off (energy conservation campaign; US DoD)
TSO The Smarter One
TSO TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) Segmentation Offload (computer networking)
TSO The Speakeasy Offensive (Counter-Strke team)
TSO Tempe Symphony Orchestra (Tempe, AZ)
TSO Time Stamp Ordered
TSO Tactical Sensor Operator (military aviation)
TSO Technical Staff Officer
TSO Tight Shut Off (emergency system valve feature)
TSO Terminal Security Officer
TSO Trial Services Office (US military)
TSO Technology Spillovers
TSO Third Sector Organization (non-profit)
TSO Tactical Systems Officer
TSO Transfer Student Ombudsperson (Maricopa County, AZ community college system)
TSO Temporary Slow Order (railway)
TSO Temporary Standing Order (US DoD)
TSO Transportation Supply Officer
TSO Town Sub-Office
TSO Thru-Short-Open
TSO Tactical Support Operations
TSO Telephone Service Observation
TSO Test Support Office
TSO Transmission Systems Operations/Operator (telecommunications)
TSO Timberline Symphony Orchestra (Lafayette, CO)
TSO Transaction Server Operation

Artyom Kireev, you can’t presume everyone will recognise your undefined abbreviations or acronyms. We don’t all have the same context.
TTFN

TSO = The Session Org!

Simples.

Posted by .