First and Last House in Connaught?

First and Last House in Connaught?

Hi Folks
I have a copy of Smoke in Your Eyes by Caoimhin Gaimh, "A compilation of Irish tunes played at Seattle Sessions."
There are two related tunes notated here with the names "The First House in Connaught" in Am and "The Last House in Connaught" in G.
When I looked up the tunes, it seems that what is listed as "The Last House" is actually "The First House." I’m not sure what tune is notated as "The First House." I’ve also found another tune played and referenced as "The First House."
I am not sure the best way to figure out what are the real names of the three tunes. I could post the ABCs of all three if someone can help identify the "correct" names.
Thanks
Steve

Re: First and Last House in Connaught?

When you look at the comments for The First House in Connaught, the first comment gives its alternate title: Terry Moylan´s. When leaving Clare for Galway by the Gort road, the first house you encounter belongs to Terry Moylan. I am not sure if this was said in jest, but someone at NPU said this tune was composed by Moylan. The Last House in Connaught is assigned to Dinny O´Brien.

Posted by .

Doesn’t it just depend on which direction you’re going?

That’s just what I was thinking, Joe.
But interestingly, or more like confusingly, Dinny O’Brien’s (AKA Last House in Connaught) is often paired as a set with Farewell to Connaught.
Just sayin’…..

"The First House In Connaught" is in Gmajor.
https://thesession.org/tunes/2601
"The Last House In Connaught" is in D mixolydian.
https://thesession.org/tunes/1667
"The Last House" title seems to have been added later to the Paddy O’Brien reel which he named after his father Dinny O’Brien. It’s the first reel, on page 38, in Paddy O’Brien’s collection of original tunes "The Compositions Of Paddy O’Brien" where the title given to the tune - which I think ought to be respected - is "Dinny O’Brien’s".

Posted by .

Thanks folks. Much appreciated. The Seattle Session book is wrong…oh well.

Paddy OBrien composed Cooleys hornpipe also.

"Paddy OBrien composed Cooleys hornpipe also"

…and many more good tunes besides.