Looking for dots/ABC - Windsong, Eabhal

Looking for dots/ABC - Windsong, Eabhal

Hi all

Does anyone know of where I could get the dots or ABC for a beautiful track called Windsong by Eabhal

Thanks in advance

Matt

Re: Looking for dots/ABC - Windsong, Eabhal

It’s a lovely tune by Hamish Napier. Give me a few minutes and I’ll transcribe it for you.

Posted by .

Awesome! Thank you!!

Great work!
-just out of interest, how do you do it that fast? I imagine an ‘easy’ way would be to hear it and then play it by ear using a midi keyboard that is programmed to write out .abc?
There are loads of tunes I’d like to write into .abc but the technique is lacking… I do it just one note at a time with the mandolin.

Funnily enough, the more you do it the better and faster you get. I would imagine DaveF can hear phrases and transcribe them without the need of an intermediary (midi keyboard or whatever). It’s just like sight singing in reverse.
I usually use an instrument to work out the key (because I don’t have perfect pitch) and then just listen to the phrases (their notes and intervals) and write them down.

It shouldn’t take more than a minute or two to write down a tune in ABC, as long it is straightforward enough.

Thanks a lot Donald, I’ll try that. There’s an app for sight singing that I was using at one time, and it helped a lot.

Another issue is that I mostly use TAB for mandolin so for any given tune I can pick it up by ear reasonably easily because I know where the note is on the fretboard, but can’t immediately name of the note.

So I would say that you can pick up tunes pretty quickly but it’s the transcription (i.e., converting to dots) that takes the time.
As I say, the more you practise… (I just checked my Scores folder - it’s got 2,625 items in it and those are just my Sibelius scores).
Good luck.

DonaldK - 17,276 🙂

@Atsunrise I guess the only answer is practice. I like transcribing tunes, I do it a lot. Also, I’ve always had a good ear for this. No perfect pitch, but once I have a reference note I can usually do long phrases easily. However, I’ll always have a whistle/flute/keyboard beside me, just to make sure.

I can transcribe slower tunes very quickly. Faster tunes, I’ll usually slow down and break in smaller parts to avoid missing notes here and there. Sometimes I’ll repeat a part many times because I’m not 100% sure about a note.

Also, ABC is a blessing for transcribing tunes. I’m a software engineer, so I write code for a living. ABC is just a different kind of "programming" so that also speeds up the process for me. I hate ABC as a way of reading tunes but I love it when I need to write them.

Posted by .

That’s mighty, Nigel.
Mind, although you in no way look it, you’ve got a year or two on me!

This could be the subject of a whole new thread “My database is bigger’n yours” ! 😉
I have a healthy number of scores and song lyrics, over 3000, though not all transcribed by me!