Ian Kinnear uilleann pipes

Ian Kinnear uilleann pipes

Hi. Wondering if anyone here owns or has heard a set of Kinnear uilleann pipes in person? How would you rate them?

From what I can gather he has ventured into uilleann pipe making relatively recently, although he has been producing small pipes for a long time. I’m looking to buy a practice set of pipes and his are quite reasonably priced and very close to me on the east coast of Scotland which is handy when it comes to repairs/reed replacement etc.

Any and all advice appreciated
Cheers

Re: Ian Kinnear uilleann pipes

Disclaimer: I’ve only tried one set, briefly, outdoors, but the short version is they worked exactly as they should, sounded very nice, and I could have sat and enjoyed playing them for quite some time. That was a few years ago now, would have been 2017 I think, and he’d been at it for a while before that, and he really knows his business as a maker. I think they’d be an ideal first set.

Posted by .

I know little about pipes.
I play all manner of other things.
I don’t know Mr Kinnear.
His work looks fab on his fb page.
My instincts, knowing as I do instrument makers and musicians, is to suggest:
If you live ‘near’ him, see of you can go and see him! And…

All the very best and good luck and welcome GeroidMac!

Thanks very much for your replies! I will see if I can stop by his workshop for a chat.

I’ve met Ian a couple of times and played his small pipes. He’s a great maker of those and his reeds are excellent. He’s very approachable and runs workshops and teaching weekends for all abilities too. I second Yhaal House, give him a call or drop him a line and arrange to pop round for a look see.