La Cosa Mulligan

La Cosa Mulligan

Would someone be kind enough to write out the chords for guitar back up for this great reel in D by Tommy Peoples please..?
It is listed here as: https://thesession.org/tunes/1665
I’ve investigated probably every known source (to me anyway) of the tune without success.
As a fiddle player, I don’t know how to transcribe guitar chords to a melody,
and I don’t have a “tame” guitar player handy to help me out..!!
Thank you.
Cheers.

Re: La Cosa Mulligan

That doesn’t appear to be the same tune, Gobby.

“That doesn’t appear to be the same tune, Gobby”… Ooops… sorry!

Posted by .

Those straight D, A chords would be fine along with inversions and double stop runs in D major or A major.

For further possible changes:
the A part seems very D, A.
If it’s a very small group playing I’d be tempted to go to the relative minor of the D (Bm) for the first measure at the beginning of the B part just because the first measure of the B part often means, ‘well you think that story was bad, this happened next’ or ‘and then we lost the mast’.
A quick jump to the relative minor of G (Em, meaning unstable alternative sad) then A and back to D major (solid ground) at the end of the B part is another possibility. (Meaning, ‘yes, it was tragic but we can handle it’.)
The C part is really interesting, with a neutral but dark ominous feeling. You could maybe put in the relative minor of A (F#m) at the beginning while carefully observing the other melody players.
If they’re in a experimental, exploratory, improv mood it might work.
Good luck!

D, Em, F#m G, A Bm C#dim

@@sunrise – Yes, lots of possibilities for introducing more colour and building a more complex harmonic narrative. Thanks for the additional suggestions.

But might I suggest that you copy your comments across to the the tune page, to make comparison easier?

Thank you folks for this helpful information.
The chords as supplied by CreadurMawnOrganig work well.
I’m using Strum Machine to help my timing on a lot of tunes.
After that I’ll venture into Atsunrise’s suggestions.
Again, thank you.