Latest abomination of nature from the AppCordions labs

Re: Latest abomination of nature from the AppCordions labs

That’s amazing Michael!

This is super-cool. What’s the name of the tune you’re playing?

The tune is “Táimse im’ chodladh“

Sounds righteous. Fine playing also.
I’m quite tempted to get a whistle warbl at some point
a) can it be set up so it sounds like uilleann pipes with whistle fingering? :P
b) same for breton trad double-reed instruments?

"a) can it be set up so it sounds like uilleann pipes with whistle fingering? :P"

Yes, that’s how I use the WARBL and Michael’s Celtic Sounds app. Just bare whistle fingering without the accessory bit at the end for Uilleann "off the knee" playing. It doesn’t sound *exactly* like Uilleann pipes because I lack any training in piper finger articulations, just playing it like a whistle, but it’s loads of fun.

You’ll probably have to experiment a little to get the breath pressure right for switching octaves. The octave switch can also be triggered by bag pressure under your arm (it comes with an inexpensive bag and tube), or you can learn to use the thumb hole underneath to switch octaves. For now I’m just playing it like a whistle with breath pressure to switch octaves.

"b) same for breton trad double-reed instruments?"

Don’t know, but the WARBL app is very flexible for re-assigning Midi notes that are output on the gadget. I have one custom setup that changes every normal whistle Gnat to a G#, for playing one particular Calum Stewart tune (Sueno’s Stone).

Note: The WARBL makes no sound of its own, you need a host device to run Celtic Sounds or any other Midi synth or sample player. I use the original iPad Mini, which has an analog headphone jack (the new Mini doesn’t have this). That’s important — whatever you use like a tablet, phone, or computer needs analog audio output to avoid too much lag in the output sound. I tried playing the WARBL with the Bluetooth output on my iPad and it didn’t work; there was way too much delay. With a headphone jack output to a PA speaker the response of the fingerhole sensors is very crisp, feels like an analog instrument.

Taking things to the next level of insanity…

Using two WARBL USB wind controllers connected to a an iPad via USB Hub and the Apple USB3 Camera Adapter, playing my "Celtic Sounds" iOS app which provides the Uilleann pipes chanter, drone, and regulator sounds.

https://youtu.be/7vj4JQNJ0Nc

Taking things to the next level of insanity…
Um, wow?
😀 … just kidding … pretty awesome

With a WARBL set up with its bottom-D sensor and bag installed, you could also do exactly this in a full Uilleann pipes configuration, but I use my WARBL exclusively in it’s mouth-blown whistle configuration.

"Taking things to the next level of insanity…"

Egad! You know, I was wondering if I could use the WARBL drone and regulator sounds while playing flute, but figured it would be too hard to use the tip of my elbow to hit the sensors with the WARBL strapped to my knee. Never thought about the footboard idea.

Over the years I’ve thought about getting a Shruti Box with foot pump for drones along with flute. This might be the next frontier. A set of Midi bass pedals might be easier to hit though. I assume assignable Midi notes from a bass pedal set could trigger the drone and regulators on the Celtic Sounds app, is that correct?

Conical bore, absolutely… You can also transpose the entire app to play, for example, in B instead of D.

Here’s the MIDI note mapping in Celtic Sounds for all the notes:

The MIDI note ranges of the instruments are:

High-D Tin Whistle - D3 (62) - D5 (86)

Wooden Flute - D3 (62) - D5 (86)

Anglo Concertina - C2 (48) - A5 (93)

Button Accordion - G2 (53) - E5 (88)

When playing the Uilleann Pipes instrument, the following special MIDI notes, starting on C1 (36) are used for the drone and regulator sounds:

Single regulator notes:

C1 (36) - Bass regulator G

C#1 (37) - Bass regulator A

D1 (38) - Bass regulator B

D#1 (39) - Bass regulator C

E1 (40) - Baritone regulator D

F1 (41) - Baritone regulator F#

F#1 (42) - Baritone regulator G

G1 (43) - Baritone regulator A

G#1 (44) - Tenor regulator F#

A1 (45) - Tenor regulator G

A#1 (46) - Tenor regulator A

B1 (47) - Tenor regulator B

C2 (48) - Tenor regulator C

Drones:

D2 (50) - Lynch Drones

D#2(51) - Crowley Drones

Regulator pairs:

E2 (52) - D/F# Baritone/Tenor Regulator Pair

F2 (53) - D/G Baritone/Tenor Regulator Pair

F#2 (54) - F#/A Baritone/Tenor Regulator Pair

G2 (55) - G/B Baritone/Tenor Regulator Pair

G#2 (56) - G/C Baritone/Tenor Regulator Pair

A2 (57) - A/C Baritone/Tenor Regulator Pair

Uilleann Pipes drones key triggers (D2 and D#2) are "latching" . The drones start on the first press of the trigger key, stop on the second.

The Uilleann Pipes chanter notes start at D3 (62) and go to D5 (86)

When playing the Uilleann Pipes instrument, any pitch bend messages received only effect the chanter notes, not the drones or regulators.

As the saying goes: ¨I don´t suffer from insanity… I enjoy every minute of it!¨ 🙂

Amazing stuff! Tech meets Trad!!

(I am still figuring out how to get a USB mic working with my computer, so it may take me a few decades to be using a setup like this 🙂