I am making a few Folk Flutes available around Christmas and other news

I am making a few Folk Flutes available around Christmas and other news

I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be making a small number of my popular small handed Folk Flutes in Blackwood over the next few weeks. If you want to order one contact me ASAP at caseyburnsflutes@gmail.com and we’ll sort out how to order. I am not retired from making flutes at all - just from taking orders for flutes, except when I feel like it. I need to keep my flute making "chops" up and running to some degree, so occasionally I will announce that I am accepting a few orders - or simply have some finished flutes available for immediate purchase.

The glass flute project proceeds slowly but surely. The current drama involves moving a very heavy Pantograph Milling Machine part from our walkway up the mild hill across the wet grass to my workshop. Hopefully, my friend Jaime can come by this week with his Bobcat loader. If not I will be using a lever and fulcrum to move it by hand some 30 meters eastward in tiny steps. I need to keep buying some tooling this month, and do some wiring work around the workshop so I can run the kiln.

If you want to read about this and more - subscribe to my writings site at laurentflutes.substack.com Expect some silliness and drama.

I am approaching the glass three ways. Blowing into a mold such as is used for bottles was the primary method employed by Laurent’s Parisian flute makers. Lost wax cast using cobalt glass was less frequently used. Added to these two historical methods are modern optical shaping methods involving cold working the glass into shape starting from a solid rod of glass, and much sintered diamond tooling.

Acoustically the Laurent flutes before 1820 rival the Rudall & Rose, and other London flutes that came a few decades or more later, in terms of power and feel. Later French flutes evolved to support the 3rd register music and these powerful lower registers were more or less abandoned by the 1840s. I didn’t really understand this until I tried one from 1816 this summer that really knocked my socks off.

This week my musical excitement will be mostly about a new guitar that Shelley Parks is finishing for me in Vancouver. I previously had her 250th but a shoulder injury made it impossible to play. This one has a smaller body and other features that should make it feel great. Her guitars are some of the best for the Django-inspired Jazz genre. This one will have the unique serial number "250√(-1)" due to some "secret sauce" that we are trying on this instrument.

Re: I am making a few Folk Flutes available around Christmas and other news

More info at folkflutes.com
Thanks!

Casey, this new page of yours reads so much more clearly than previous incarnations, concise & complete. Great job!

Hi Casey,
I am very interested in your folk flute.
I play an Irish whistle. My hands are somewhat small, will your flute work for me? And the price? Thanks. Merry Christmas. Robert Lowe