Flute buying

Flute buying

Hi, I’m sure, this was asked a hundred times before, but as I couldn’t find what I was looking for, see it as some kind of 2022 version… ;)

I’m looking for a not too expensive wooden flute (if somehow possible not more than 500€), wich has still a good quality. I don’t need keys. I went looking through the chiffandfipple-forum, but as I’m not really familiar with it (I have a profile but did never post a single word…), I thought I’d ask you. What would you recommend to me? Do you have any experience with good flutes in this prize category?
Thank you so much!

PS: Maybe I should add that I am located in Austria, so I would appreciate recommendations that are available there!

Re: Flute buying

François Baubet is a respected maker who makes a keyless flute in delrin for 400 euros. He’s in Ireland, so including shipping that would be within your budget. A wooden flute from him would cost 600 euros, though.
http://www.francoisbaubet.com/

It would probably worth putting a post out on C&F, both in the Flute Forum and UIE. Sometimes people have flutes laying around they don’t play and would be willing to sell. For that price range, you might be looking at a delrin flute, or possibly a used Casey Burns Folk Flute. For delrin, a Baubet or Copley might be a good choice.

I looked on Casey Burns website, but I couldn’t figure out if he’s active anymore… he wrote something of a sabbatical.
I know, that Delrin is cheaper, but I would be happy with a flute made of wood, so if you say 600€, it’s still ok, I think.
So I will get over my confusion and go back to the C&F, I will get along somehow… ;)
Do you think a second hand flute is a good choice?

Thank you, I will look this one up

"Do you think a second hand flute is a good choice?" paper dragon.

Yes, it can be cheaper than a brand new flute. Solen Lesoeuf (France) makes very good flutes. There was one keyless Lesoeuf flute that sold for £600, whereas a new one costs €950. Your budget is €500, but it could be worthwhile saving up an extra €450 and buying a new Lesoeuf. http://sosolaflute.com

I’ll second the notion of buying a secondhand flute. I bought my Lehart for well within your budget used. Recently enough on a buy/sell FB page I saw a Martin Doyle going for €400, which would make a great flute. It might take a bit of waiting and searching, but I’m sure you can find what you’re looking for.

Thank you all!
Where is the best place to look for a second hand flute? (As I don’t have a Facebook account)

The first one looks good! As I’m not that experienced with instrument buying, would you say, it is a good deal?

That used Seery in the wooden case is a fair price, perhaps 15-20% off new retail. However, it is a polymer (Delrin) flute, not wood.

The Damian Thompson flutes appear to be from the maker himself, and the models vary as to price (different ones pictured in that ad). Also priced as good value, but the wooden ones exceed your budget by double or so.

"Where is the best place to look for a second hand flute?" Paper Dragon

You could put a WTB add on the Used Instruments Exchange section of C&F:
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewforum.php?f=35

I bought and sold several flutes there over the years, and never had a problem.

Kkrell: Thanks for the advice, silly me… polymer, delrin should’ve known that, but I guess I’ve never been that good in science…;)

I went through it again and came to the conclusion that I probably wouldn’t get along with 500 €, so forget it. I cannot pay a thousand for a flute but if it’s more than 500, I’llbeokay. Maybe a used one really is a good idea.

Flute Wanderer: Thank you, yes, seems to be a good place. As I said, I’m a member of the C&F, but have never posted anything, because I somehow find the whole forum a bit complicated (don’t ask, please, I guess I will never be friends with the technical stuff;)). So, after getting your advice to try it there, I put a post on there - at least I tried. Is it normal, that it tells me, that my post isn’t visible to other users until it’s checked by a moderator? I put it online in the morning, and still nothing has changed. I know this is off-topic to this discussion, but maybe someone can help?
I looked up the Used Instruments Exchange, but it looks like I can’t post anything there.

So sorry for wasting your time with this nonsense, but I’m grateful for your help! 🙂

@Paper Dragon
Re: Chiff & Fipple - You’ll just have to wait for a moderator to approve your first post. After 3 posts, you’re usually given access to the UIE (Used Instrument Exchange) and Private Messages.

Oh, okay, so it’s normal, thank you ;)