Flute is the best!

Flute is the best!

I’m kidding. This music is great on so many different instruments, including mouth-music. But I must admit a bit of a bias for flute.

Does anyone not like flute in Irish music? Of course provided it’s well played. That goes without saying. I’ve heard many of the players who have been playing trad for years. Any young flute players coming to the music recently which you like what you’re hearing?

Thanks in advance for anything about Irish tunes & flute. You can even post yourself if you dare. I’ll listen.

Posted by .

Re: Flute is the best!

For Irish music I prefer the tone of the traditional wooden flutes rather than the silver concert C flutes used in classical and jazz. I can listen to that instrument for hours. I’ve heard many Matt Malloy albums and other Irish players and that hooked me on the Irish instrument. A true natural musical genius on the Irish flute (and whistle) I’ve seen over the last several years (YouTube and elsewhere) is Orlaith McAuliffe. She’s been a world class performer for many years already. She plays everything with great feel, finesse and precision, whether it’s fast and furious with ornaments, or slower tunes. The skill level evident is amazing, as is her understanding of how to present each tune so well, always faithful to each tune. Linking beyond her and her various gig videos, I’ve found other Irish bands and musicians and a few other flute players too.
Anyone else? Let’s see some names!

"Let’s see some names!"
Fair play, Robert J.!
I once played with this fellow named Preston who was so much fun to be with on flute, whistle or pipes. I hope he still finds time for flute but he’s pretty damn brilliant on pipes these days. That’s for sure!
Preston Wilde ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkNOEpW7XE

Another guy as far as I know is still playing flute. Hope so.
Conor O’Bryan ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwtJlmHIii0

Posted by .

Let’s not forget that the flutes we play trad on today were played wonderfully in orchestras, chamber groups and solo performance before Mr. Boehm got so good at marketing. I doubt that there is any music can’t be played on our instruments. I use mine for light jazz, show tunes, waltz’s, and some classical with my piano playing better half. Just as I wouldn’t “glance askance” at trad on the shiny flute, I wouldn’t ignore our “pot sticks” for other genre.

Tommy Fitzharris is one who’s playing I really like. He has an album out with Donal McCague called The Bank of Turf that is one of my current favorites. Will Woodson is another younger player that I really like. His album with Caitlin Finley is called The Glory Reel and it is excellent. I think Will is a member here…

I think the only time in my life where a piece of music randomly brought me to tears of happiness was when I was driving home from a great session, and Steph Geremia’s Conspiracy set came on from my playlist. I was still buzzing from the night’s tunes, and the way that set builds really just hit me in a way that had never happened before. Here’s a live version of that set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83CoSm2BYbI

Certainly the flute is the best for sessions of the things I’ve played (uilleann pipes, flute, whistle).

Because pipes and whistle are go/no-go.

But with the flute you can play on-pitch at any volume level desired.

@KKrell… ya got me. Ordered CD1..2..3! Looks like a great collection. Looking forward to receiving.

@gbyrne : thanks. However, I did miss the intent of the OP, which seemed to be geared towards the more recent young’uns. Although from my vantage point, everyone’s a young’un. There have certainly been a lot of younger players who have surfaced, either on CD releases, or YouTube/Facebook. etc.

As with Reverend, that set from Steph Geremia really inspired me. I’ve been in that same mental state, late night driving home from a hot session, when something like that comes on. It’s like a lightning bolt to the soul.

Flutes and Violin are two instruments that permit a great range of expression. As Richard said, volume and pitch, and also melodic, sustain and suspension qualities.

Kevin Krell’s 3 CD set is a great sampler of numerous flute players. There is a high representation of the harder edged Irish flute tone, in comparison with the more lyrical character exemplified by Steph and Chris Norman. It is a collection of music I should have bought right when I was starting out on flute.

Much as I like playing the fiddle, I prefer to hear Irish music on flute, whistle or pipes.