in ómós Ashling Murphy

Re: in ómós Ashling Murphy

So sad and so senseless, my heart goes out to her friends and family.

I wish comfort and consolation to everyone in this young woman´s sphere. These sorts of senseless tragedies are the most difficult to bear. And sadly, if this proves a ¨stranger on stranger assault¨, among the hardest to solve and bring to closure. My heart aches for this womans family and friends.

Dia dhaoibh!

Total numbness.

I used to walk and run on those very canal banks between Tullamore and Daingean.

All kind thoughts and prayers to, and for, this young Dream’s family, and friends, and first responders.

Brian x

It’s such a senseless tragedy that has (rightly) shocked and angered the whole country.

Here’s another clip of Ashling’s playing, this time from Tullamore Trad Fest 2019:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1BaXCwpuA0

(The first tune is a composition by one member of The Session for another: the Zina Warrior Princess hornpipe by ceolachan: https://thesession.org/tunes/6483)

My sincerest condolences to Ashling’s friends and family—I can’t imagine what they must be going through.

Condolences to all her family and friends. What kind of world has it become, when something like this appalling act can happen in daylight. May Ashling rest in peace.

What an appalling, tragic waste of a young life - we have sadly become accustomed to the gradual depletion of ‘my generation’ of trad musicians through old age and sickness but this is something else. It’s hard to make sense of this world sometimes.

I was speaking to my brother in Dingle yesterday and he was saying that (rightly) the whole of Ireland is shocked by this wicked and senseless act.

Such a pointless waste of a life full of promise - unspeakably sad.

Heartbreaking, condolences to her family and friends.

Really sad.

When I saw The News last night, I figured that Ashling was also a musician.
I do realise that it shouldn’t make any difference but, somehow, it makes everything seem even sadder. What a pointless loss of such a beautiful young life.

I think traditional musicians around the world are like an extended family, so we feel the loss. Such a tragedy of a lady so young.
To all who new the lady please accept my condolences.
It truly is not the carefree world of my youth.
R.I.P. Ashling Murphy

So shocked and saddened to hear of this.
Condolences to Ashling’s family and friends.
R.I.P. Ashling.

Deepest sympathy to all her friends and family. An unspeakable act. RIP.

News reported that the Tonga volcano shockwaves were felt around the world . A heartache of equal , or greater , proportions has been felt around the world for Ashling .

Posted by .

My name is Anthony (Tony) Friel - ex Stewartstown Ave Belfast BT11 9GF.
I live in Hervey Bay Qld Australia. I get the Irish News daily and download the session as it comes in.
With respect to Ashling - someone said it was an unspeakable act - that was putting it mildly.
I’m not surprised Ireland is shocked by this wicked and senseless act as is the world this far around the globe.
One of our friends here, Patricia Heron (nee Bolton) is from Tullamore and worked with Ashling’s mother.
Needless to say, she was stunned when I broke the news. Totally senseless.
Suaimhneas síoraí tabhair di, a Thiarna.
Anthony (Tony) Friel) LLB (CQU).

Posted by .

Heartbreaking, words fail one.

Apparently the tune which has been heard on radio recorded by Ashling, played as a perfect solo, is called "The Foggy Morning".

Could someone please post a transcription here so that the whole, wordwide Trad community can play it to commemorate her forever more?

It’s the tune accompanying the video montage.

There is a video of her playing it, but when I searched YouTube I found so much misleading/irrelevant nonsense that I’ve just given up. Let the poor young woman rest in peace.