Bouzouki starter pack?

Bouzouki starter pack?

Seeking advice on an entry level Bouzouki to mail order from Europe plus online instruction… you‘d make me a happy wife.

Re: Bouzouki starter pack?

OAIM has a first month free offer that’s good until March 22nd if ye use this code: STPATRICKSDAY_2022

they’ve several online bouzouki courses on offer: oaim.ie

I bought an Thomann Irish Concert Bouzouki PU from Thomann, made by Hora who I believe are a Romanian manufacturer. The pick up is a real asset, as I can record both DI and Mic.
Import Duty was not too steep to the UK, so it has turned out to be a reliable and useful instrument. Already featured in a lot of my recordings and videos.
Action is a little on the high side, but I’m loathe to alter it, in case I make a mess of it.
I use it more as a backing instrument to my fiddle tunes and it works great in that role. Have used it also as a lead instrument and it holds up ok.
Seems well built and pretty strong, taken it out on gigs and it fits nicely into one of my banjo cases.
So as a first Zouk, I was very pleased.

I think I found a fairly local dealer with expert players at hand! Will take the advice otherwise!

I hurt my shoulder and had to stop playing guitar, so I got a zouk. An Ashbury.

It’s inexpensive. Plays pretty easily with a capo (without a capo I have to work a bit more but it’s manageable). And most importantly, it plays perfectly in tune all the way up the neck. Even after a capo change.

The downsides: The response is tinny and slightly thin. So not great for all but very small sessions, acoustically. Had a K&K pickup installed, and with a preamp to boost the signal it works brilliantly for gigs and festivals.

Here we are “in the wild,” with the zouk run through a big PA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTuQLDwlwZ0

And in contrast, here I am with fiddler Emri Stenn, just enjoying some reels around a table one night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4i_uev7cC0

I have to hit it pretty hard in order to put out enough volume to keep up with Emri. With the pickup I have a lot bigger dynamic pallet.

I may want to upgrade to a pro-level model someday. But with a good pickup and preamp, the zouk does what I need it to do and I’m not in a rush.