Shake hands with your uncle Dan, me boy,
And kiss your cousin Kate.
She’s the girl who used to swing
Down on the garden gate
Shake hands with all the neighbours
And kiss the colleens all
You’re as welcome as the flowers in May
To dear old Donegal

A song as Irish as New York’s St Patrick day parade.

Re: Tune name

Yes, of course it is - Humours of California. Thank you.
It’s amazing how the name of a tune you’ve played for yonks can slip so easily out of mind. But there’s an upside - it’s the first time I realised that was the tune used for the song ’Dear Old Donegal".

There’s interesting discussion here on American-Irish songs
https://thesession.org/discussions/33780
which includes a delightfully funny song about all by Robbie O’Connell.

@Muircheartaigh — Yes, that is the one. But have only ever heard it called ‘Off To California’ before…

Yes, ‘Off to California’ is the more common title but if you look in the mustard database you can see ‘Humours…’ as one of the alternative titles - along with: “Bound For California, Fireman’s, Fireman’s Reel, The Fireman’s Reel, The Fireman’s, Going To California, … Imtigte (sic) Go California, The Juggler, Off The California, The Portsmouth Hornipe, (sic) Trip To California, Whiskey, The Whiskey”. So many names; so, so forgettable.

’Off to California": what a nightmare scenario for anyone living the old European world to deal with! Scarey tune name!

It’s past 2 am here! I’m back from a jolly old sesh in Tooting and the after show party!We def did Chief O’Neils’s Favourite tonight and the Japanese Hornpipe! Blesséd everyone!

Muircheartaigh: Yes, ‘Off to California’ is the more common title but if you look in the mustard database you can see ‘Humours…’

I did see that. I was not correcting you, I have just never come across anyone that used any other name than ‘Off To California’. You are a curiosity.

CreadurMawnOrganig - ‘a curiosity’ - I’m flattered.

Flattery intended – and I expect it to get me nowhere.