Whistles in a hot car?

Whistles in a hot car?

Would a whistle be damaged by being left in a hot car?

Mine is a Wild (brass and Delrin). I’d like to bring it along with me to squeeze in extra playing time but the weather is getting warmer…

Re: Whistles in a hot car?

I don’t know much about living in hot countries, but I would have thought that as long as it was out of direct sunlight – perhaps wrapped in a blanket or clothing for good measure – it would be fine. Delrin tolerates much higher temperatures than plastics – one reason it is used for wind instruments is that it can be turned on a high-speed lathe without melting or deforming.

Where I live is regularly in the 80s Fahrenheit in the summer, occasionally 90s. If parked in the sun of course it gets a lot hotter than that inside.

Thanks for the info about Delrin!

Where I live (Wales), we might get the occasional heat wave when it hits 90, but most summers, we’re lucky if it gets past 70. I had never even considered the possibility of a whistle being damaged by heat (except when using overly hot water to loosen the head on a non-tunable plastic-topped whistle).

I would have thought, though, that even for a Delrin and brass whistle, one consideration would be the risk of burning your hand when you pick the whistle up.

I’m in Minnesota, USA, where it does occasionally get up to the 80s and 90s Fahrenheit in the summer. Definitely would worry about any whistle left on the dash or seat in the sun.

Perhaps ok if protected? Occasionally in the past I have kept generation style whistles in the glove box without major deformation from heat. However, they got hot enough that I would never do it with a whistle I really loved - the car whistles were always ones that I didn’t like much and were easily/cheaply replaced, so I wasn’t worried if they broke or melted. I never risked my good generations, and while Delrin is much tougher than the generation plastic, but still I would not leave my Killarney in the car either, just in case.

I’ve left a modified Feadog whistle in my car for years with no issues. It gets to be 115 degrees here sometimes in the summer. I don’t think you have to worry.

A quick google reveals that delrin’s operating temperature is -40c to 120c. I’m guessing that within that range there would be no problems with deformation etc. I think if your car interior went above 120c you’d have more problems than just a bent whistle…

Interesting Michael, I would have thought temps like that would nuke a regular plastic headed whistle, but clearly not. Good to know

I’m glad I’m not the only weirdo who keeps a car whistle. Mine is an old Feadog. It does fine.

I live in a dry, hot desert. My delrin flute lives in my car year round. Hot cold has never been a problem.

Should be fine as long as it’s not one of your favourites. I got pretty casual about always carrying whistles in my truck until someone knicked 2 of my best whistles. How does the Wild sound, Nienna?

Michael, 115 F. is not at all the high temp in San Diego. I know you get around though. Chico can hit 113 (and then some). Up here Red Bluff, CA is the hottest. Not yet though.

Posted by .

I have a handful of Freeman tweaked Generations, all 10 or 12 years old (acquired when I first starting playing this music). I used to keep one in the car at all times--until I noticed a tiny piece of smooth plastic fall out. The loss of that part definitely affected the tone of that whistle. I know nothing about how whistles are tweaked, but perhaps Jerry inserted this tiny piece of plastic as part of the tweaking process, and in the baking heat of a Seattle summer his work was undone. That’s my guess. I no longer keep any whistle in my car, although my Sindts would be fine I’m sure. It’s easy enough to keep one stashed in my shoulder bag that I grab as I go out the door.

AB, I don’t live in San Diego proper, I live in the hills east of the city El Cajon, about 30 miles inland from SanDiego itself. I generally just tell people I live in San Diego because “I live in unincorporated San Diego County east of El Cajon” wouldn’t mean much to most people. We get temps way over 100 degrees often during the summer and have exceeded 110 on several occasions.

Generation (et. al.) fipple’s plastic is more fragile than the Delrins.

Posted by .

Heat never had any effect on the plastic fipple or the overlay the my tweaked high-D Feadog, which had a standard fipple with a glued blade overlay. It lived in my car for nearly 10 years with no issues.

“In a hot car” is fairly nebulous. A whistle is still an instrument & deserves a modicum of care about it’s well being. Like, since it’s right there and easy to grab you can pick it up and play. Waiting at a red light works. On the entrance to the freeway in rush hour traffic, not so much. Also putting it on the dash, right next to the windscreen is the hottest place. So, don’t keep it there. Shit happens, don’t let it & any whistle may live a long happy life in your car w/due care.

Posted by .

Mine lived in the passenger seat back pocket when it wasn’t getting played while going 85 MPH in a school zone while steering with my knees.

Nice hyperbole.

Posted by .

Challenge: somebody compose a jig titled “The Whistle in the Glove Compartment”.

@AB – Given what we know about Michael Eskin’s multi-tasking abilities, I would not be surprised if it were not hyperbole.

@DrSilverSpear I keep spare car whistes in cars that aren’t even mine! 😂

Yeah dont leave your whistle in a car, i did that and found my window broken and someone had dumped a load of generations, and clarkes in there to 🙂

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I may avoid leaving it in the car on the hottest days just to be safe, since I only have the one and it’s not a cheapie.

Don’t leave it in the car. Sorted.

Posted by .

I’ll second that, Kenny.

Posted by .

Creadur, it was the bit about steering w/his knee which did not ring true. Even multi-taskers would use a self-driving feature. Free the knee! 😀

Posted by .

Toyota didn’t offer lane keeping as an option on the Prius until 2017. Mine is a 2016 so I’m stuck with steering with my knees when playing on the freeway while the adaptive radar cruise control controls the speed and following distance. Car will park itself, so I could practice tunes while it parks.

Right!

Posted by .

You think you’re joking, Michael. I once met a guy who was a fantastic whistle player, even though he’d only been playing for five years. When I asked how he got so good so quickly, he said that he’d worked as a truck driver. During those long hours on the highway, he would drive with his knees and play the whistle.

I guess he never of Phineas Gage.

Probably not, DrSS. Nor the trolley handrail which pierced Frida Kahlo.

Posted by .

Cheers, Michael Eskin! It took me awhile to find it but I believe this might be the temp which you stated earlier. When it comes to countywide climate & records I try to keep on top of the details.

“The highest temperature ever recorded in El Cajon, California was 114.1 °F which occurred on September 5, 2020.” https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/el-cajon

Thank you very much. Y’all may break that record so stay as cool as you possibly can.

Posted by .

OK, it’s fine to leave your Feadog whistle in the seat back pocket of your car up to and including 114.1 degrees F.

At 114.2 degrees, the standard Feadog plastic fipple may spontaneously combust causing damage to your vehicle.

To avoid this from happening, I suggest those concerned test your whistles by:

1) Placing them on a cookie sheet in a oven and starting from a cold slowly increase the temperature every 5 minutes by 25 degrees.

2) When the fipple or tube melts, and or explodes, write down the temperature, turn off the oven, and remove the cookie pan, which now contains a molten pool of plastic and metal.

3) Subtract 40 degrees to account for interior vs. exterior car temperature and provide some margin of error.

4) Go buy new whistles to replace the ones you destroyed in step 1.

5) Each morning check weather.com for your area.

6) If weather.com says the temperature will exceed the number you wrote down in step one, do not leave the whistle in your vehicle. If you have previously placed a whistle in your vehicle, remove it immediately.

7) If weather.com says the temperature will not exceed the number you wrote down in step one, you may place a whistle in the vehicle for stop light and expressway autopilot play.

Thank you?

Posted by .

Always a pleasure.

Did you catch the flute workshops?

Posted by .

The one that Conal O’Grada was doing? No, but I did pass the info along to several flute-playing friends.

That’s it!

Posted by .

“Probably not, DrSS. Nor the trolley handrail which pierced Frida Kahlo.”

Indeed.

I suppose self-driving vehicles change the whole landscape for car whistle playing. Or maybe not. Bet the accident investigators would have some interesting questions if the whistle player’s Tesla slammed into a truck. “Do you reckon he was playing Michael Coleman’s version of Crowley’s #2?”

Okay, probably not that.

In a Tesla wouldn’t the whistler be playing Flook, at least McGoldrick or something from the last few decades?

Although I’m sure Tesla owners appreciate Coleman.

Posted by .

I think “if the whistle player’s Tesla slammed into a truck”, the tune might be “Pay the reckoning”….

But the thing is, Terry - and this is actually a very serious question - who is it who “pays” ?

Posted by .

Was Phineas Gage the guy who had a whistle lodged in his brain after a mysterious explosion in the pub?

Posted by .