Fluters in & around Ireland in the first half of the 20th c.

Fluters in & around Ireland in the first half of the 20th c.

There must have been plenty. Or maybe fluting was rarer than I imagine. I’ve heard the major names and it’s always good to talk about them. That might make for a fine discussion. But if anyone has heard or heard about Irish fluters’ who haven’t received their deserved attention I’d love to hear your story.

I’m just fishing, just hoping. And I love what I have heard from the well known players of that period.

Posted by .

Re: Fluters in & around Ireland in the first half of the 20th c.

Perhaps I should have extended the time period. It would be a shame to not include the 50s. Don’t you think so?
How about 1910-1960; give or take a few years? Time is relative.

Posted by .

What exactly is the question?

“Around” Ireland - does that include UK? USA? ….Maybe Canada? Australia?
Does Roger Sherlock count?
Then there’s John McKenna. Vincent Broderick. Josie McDermott.
Not sure if there needs to be a “question” here. Sounds like AB just wants to chat about what’s in the title of his discussion. But what do you actually want to discuss? Recordings? Compositions? Technique?

If you get Seamus Tansey’s two books, I would guess that there would be the names of nearly 100 flute players mentioned, and that would just be for Sligo.

Posted by .

Fluters, or flutists (or flautists)?

I am a fan of the playing of Mick Flynn, who can be heard on recordings with Michael Gorman and also Paddy Killoran. He spent time in London, where he played with Gorman and others, and later emigrated to the U.S. and settled in New York. He is featured with Paddy Killoran on the album “Memories of Ireland.” There’s also one solo track on the Rounder collection “Irish Traditional Music form the East Coast of America.” Any other Mick Flynn fans out there?

Jacobitebyname: flute player.

Posted by .

“What exactly is the question?”
There isn’t a specific question. In fact there is no question in the OP.

“Define ”around“ Ireland, please.”
Geographically extend it as much as you see fit. If parameters help use any county in Ireland with fluters you listen to and go as far as you like so long as it’s music in the style we discuss on this site.

“Recordings? Compositions? Technique?”
Any aspects which you are interested in discussing.

Thanks, Kenny & Terry O’Neill. 😀

Posted by .

There was a truely EXCELLENT player called McDermott from Co. Tipperary ( I think )
He influenced Matt Molloy’s playing.

Matt Molloy praised him in a conversation with Seamus Tansey from memory.

I heard him once on a clip, but can’t find it now.
He was FANTASTIC, I could see the inspiration.

love to find out and hear more of him.

Actually the man I was thinking about was Paddy Joe Moloney ( RIP ) from Portroe County Tipperary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MC_H-KtAJI

He won the All Ireland in 1958 and seems to have been recorded.
“Traditional Music of Ireland V.1, Sean Ryan and P.J. Moloney”

Anyone ever come across this recording ?

Brilliant, much appreciation Pat!

Posted by .

Captain’s Log, Listowel, Sunday, 25 August 1974…

"Attended some senior competitions. Senior Flute (won by Josie McDermott [blind flute player], 2nd Michael Gavin). Senior Concertina (Father Kelly USA 1st, Paul Davis 2nd). Paul also won Senior Flute Slow Air.
That night wandered around the square, talked to Dan Dowd, listened to several sessions. Town surprisingly peaceful."

So, apart from supporting the inclusion of Josie McDermott, we shouldn’t overlook Englishman Paul Davis. Not only was he a great player, but was instrumental (groan!) in trafficking lots of good flutes and concertinas to Ireland to support the growing interest in the music. I’ve collected some stories about him at http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Davies.htm

Hi AB

A simple and personal answer…

Uncle Michael from Salthill; he was also World Champion 1931 on what’s classed as Warpipes (like GHB) but Irish. He gave me my first wooden flute which, incidentally, has been played by some members here on this forum.

Uncle Tom from Forkhill

Uncle Jamie from Forkhill

Both the Forkhill men would have been born late 1800s, early 1900s.
Granny was younger and she was born 1905, but she played button accordion.
I don’t know if there are/were any recordings, but you don’t need them to have the music.

There are many others, some of whom have been mentioned here, but I thought you might appreciate a personal contribution.

Keep safe and well everyone
All the best
Brian x

Re: Fluters in & around Ireland in the first half of the 20th c.: P.J. Moloney

Hey Pat, I just checked, and the recording of Sean Ryan and P.J. Moloney that you asked about (Traditional Music of Ireland, Vol. 1) is available on Apple Music. It’s surprising how many old trad recordings are to be found on there!

There was also Tom Morrison, from Dunmore Co. Galway.
He was a great player.
Heard a track of him somewhere.
Pat

In my family there was a flute that was given to American relatives some time in the 80s.
I had always been told that no one really played it and indeed by the 80s that must have been true. I had always assumed it was just a relic or one of those stories like how every house in Clare had a cheap German concertina.Recently members of the family contacted me to see if I knew who took the flute back to the states as it had belonged to their father who emigrated to Australia.
According to them he was the best of local flute players in Lavally.

I think a lot of young people got their start in parish or temperance bands playing band flutes and graduated to concert flutes later of the family could afford.

I bet the amount of local players in some small communities was considerable. Most would never have been recorded or only played locally.

As O’Neill said it was harder to gain conspicuous notice as a fluter as they were so common to paraphrase.

Posted by .

🙂

Posted by .

Wow Steamwilkes those YouTube recordings of Seán Ryan and P.J. Moloney are excellent quality. I’ve had mp3s of that album for awhile but not nearly as clean, with a certain amount of hiss and pop. What a find!

Seán is one of my favorite fiddlers to just sit back and listen to for his relaxed rhythm and impeccable tone—whether he’s playing an old standard or one of his own. Whoops, sorry this thread was about fluters!

Terry O’Neill - another Mick Flynn fan here.
Eddie Meehan recorded with John McKenna, he played accordion as well as flute. Check out the recordings made by the Rosaleen Quartet for the flute duo.
The Ballinakill Players - Stephen Moloney and Tommy Whelan.
Eddie Moloney, East Galway.
A lot of the Irish Bands recorded in the 1920s used piccolo rather than flute for more volume, I think most (if not all) were flute players.
And already mentioned, Seamus Tansey’s books detail over 100 flute players, mostly from Sligo.