Learning Piano Accompaniment

Learning Piano Accompaniment

I have a good friend who is an orchestral violinist. We regularly play reels, jigs and hornpipes together,
but he sight reads from my cheat sheets and notation.
His partner (a classical pianist) wants to learn Irish fiddle accompaniment in the style of say Carl Hession,
Josephine Keegan, Reg Hall, Brid Lafferty et al.
Can anyone recommend or has knowledge of quality lessons (online or otherwise), videos, documentation or sources where she could learn the skills involved..?
As a fiddle player, I understand keys, melodies and chord progressions, but right and left hand techniques on the keyboard are beyond my knowledge.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks.

Re: Learning Piano Accompaniment

There isn’t really a single standard style for piano accompaniment in ITM (except for the oompah, which we don’t need any more of thank you very much). Maybe just browsing around youtube and recordings for ideas would benefit your piano fella?

James Ross does an outstanding job on Ryan Young’s CD. That’s what ITM needs more of.

http://www.ryanyoung.scot/shop.html

I’ve mentioned this on a related thread about piano but I think if you got a copy of Samantha Harvey and Oisin MacDiarmada’s album The Green Branch you might find it very helpful; more to the point it’s just a really great album; good luck!

“Can anyone recommend or has knowledge of quality lessons (online or otherwise), videos, documentation or sources where she could learn the skills involved..?”
Buy some recordings and start listening. “The Green Branch”, mentioned above would be an excellent start. Also anything with Charlie Lennon playing piano.

Posted by .

Love the OAIM comment. Sure, at least for the instruments I play, the tune selections are at times somewhat odd, and while always competent, the instructors are better than me to be sure, but I wouldn’t say they are often sublime… For instance, I don’t play concertina but if I did I would be thrilled the lessons were taught by Cormac or Caitlín level players. But what an amazing resource for our music and the horde of aspiring players. Not my 1st resource for learning new tunes but I don’t think I will ever cancel my subscription.

@Just_Jamie: The concertina instructors for OAIM are Edel Fox and Liam O’Brien, both excellent well known players and former winners of the Gradam Ceoltóir Óg na Bliana, and they’ve relatively recently added Caroline Keane, who is also a great player and an experienced music educator. I don’t do OAIM courses and can’t comment on who the instructors for the other instruments are but they have a pretty stellar crew for concertina students going by them three instructors above.

@jeff_lindqvist i released that book back in early April. So far 78 copies have been sold to multiple countries around the world. The sample I used on my Facebook came from a Natalie MacMaster track with Mac Morin on Piano called Stumpie. Cape Breton piano is fantastic however I am heavily influenced by players such as Ryan Molloy. I am a classical pianist primarily then jazz and trad would follow after and my accompaniment style is a mix of Irish, Cape Breton and Jazz as there really is no specific way to accompany trad music but those techniques I use are in the book. The book is also very music theory focused so I believe if can be a great help for those looking to improve on that area.

The book is also available on Amazon and Mcneela Intruments or can be purchased directly from me if you are interested and I am also available for either face to face or online lessons.

https://tinyurl.com/Modernpianoaccom-book

https://amzn.eu/d/9GbzBu8

https://mcneelamusic.com/accessories/modern-piano-accompaniment-for-traditional-music/

Triplet, alas, I’ve encountered the peril of referencing an instrument I love but don’t play. For the instruments I do play, the banjo and whistle instructors will do just fine but the intro play through twice bit is often pretty meh, mail it in kinda vibes. The mandolin instructor is not much better.

That said, I love OAIM fiercely and have learned quite a few tunes from spending a lazy Saturday morning on the site.