Where in Dublin is good to buy trad instruments?

Where in Dublin is good to buy trad instruments?

I am home visiting family in Dublin and, as always, all the musical instruments shops I know are all rock focused with a couple of dreadful banjos, some awful mandolins and one bouzouki with the worst made neck I have ever held.
Is there anywhere in the city where you can try a good range of trad or folk instruments? I tend to be home for a weekend so I can’t drive 4 hours each way to Custys to feel up stuff. Especially as I am very unlikely to buy. But need to see if I might be tempted.
Any guidance very gratefully received.

Re: Where in Dublin is good to buy trad instruments?

https://www.allaboutaccordions.com/ Seán also used to have fiddles last time I was there.

I think you have to narrow it down to instruments you are actually interested in rather than looking for a music shop offering the whole range of trad instruments.

Posted by .

Actual physical music shops are extremely rare these days. They used to be all over the place. There used to be at least three in SW19 alone. Now there are zero. I’m sure Dublin’s the same.
‘www.’ wins again!

The internet. donedeal.ie
If you’re lucky, someone in Dublin, or near Dublin, will be selling what you’re looking for

… or adverts.ie (which has far more musical instruments listed).

Goodwin’s on Capel Street might be worth visiting.

Posted by .

I have absolutely no personal experience of McNeela Instruments but their adverts are always popping up on my screen! They are apparently based in Dublin 13.

I’ve visited and bought stuff (whistles and bodhran) from McNeela, good customer service and high quality instruments in all price ranges. We’ll thought of by friends in Clare as well. Look them up.
Doug in Colorado.

They have every type trad instrument but pipes, several models of each, new and old. Showroom and internet merchant as well.

Doug

Waltons in Blanchardstown has a really good selection.

Thanks everyone, that’s really helpful. I am still thinking about banjos (I play mandolin now) so it feels like "rock" shops always stock unplayble ones not set up and maybe tuned if you’re lucky.

Not gonna find a shop in Dublin with a selection of decent banjos unfortunately - ye’d have to head out to Galway and Tom Cussen’s shop in Clarinbridge for that, which doesn’t sound like a doable option for this trip.

Thx Triplet
I was thinking that. Or Pure Banjo up north. Some beautiful things on that site.