Tune ID: Caoimhin O Raghallaigh live recording

Tune ID: Caoimhin O Raghallaigh live recording

Hello all, hoping some of you have a moment to give this track a listen. Its from a live recording of CoR and Jackie Daly playing together that I stumbled across at some point awhile ago. I’ve really pored over it and love the playing. A lot of the tunes that Jackie plays are familiar from past recordings of his, but some of the CoR ones are less familiar to me. On this one track in particular there’s an air and 3 reels. The 3 reels at the end (starting at 3:57) are the point of my question. Does anyone have any names for them? Thanks for the help!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xFrdMc8__utYSRCOiLovI_eYLmsTNaWl/view?usp=sharing

Re: Tune ID: Caoimhin O Raghallaigh live recording

Not sure what you mean by 3:57. The First reel starts at 1:52 and is the Reel with the Birl: https://thesession.org/tunes/189.

Not sure of second reel, Part A sounds like Tailor’s Thimble.

Posted by .

Ah, that first one is Paddy Sean Nancy’s followed by John Watt Henry’s and then the Killavil Fancy.

Posted by .

So helpful! Thanks so much!

Brilliant stuff, thanks for sharing these. I love Caoimhin’s playing. Do you have any idea when this is from? I feel like it must be on the earlier side.

It definitely seems earlier. No, the only detail I have on the recording is that Jack Talty recorded it. I’ve fairly scoured the internet for signs of it being released anywhere to no avail. If you’re interested in the full recording I can send you the folder, or if it seems in keeping with the intention of this forum I can just post it publicly. I think it’s a fantastic album.

Sure!! I don’t know the rules in the forum but I would definitely take it. You can send me a PM. I have a feeling this is going to be my new obsession—I’ve already listed to this version of the Killavil Fancy about 50 times today and learned it (or, my poor imitation of it) 🤣

There have been so many times I’ve wanted to learn his version of a tune from one of his albums and he’s got his fiddle tuned down, so this is great!

Would love access to the recording, his playing is amazing and rarely get to hear it without accompaniment!

I would too 🙂