Flute albums - Barry Kerr and Calum Stewart

Flute albums - Barry Kerr and Calum Stewart

Hi there,

I’m looking for two flute albums and was wondering if anybody had a copy? They are Barry Kerr’s album ‘The Three Sisters’ and Calum Stewart’s album ‘Early Wood’.

If anybody has a copy they’d be willing to sell, let me know.

James x

Re: Flute albums - Barry Kerr and Calum Stewart

Hi James, I was going to suggest Discogs, but I’m not seeing either one on there.

I had ‘Three Sisters’ by Barry Kerr on CD, but i lost it, and i don’t think it’s for sale anymore.
He does have an EP out which is mostly flute with a few songs, called Cairn, and a duet CD with Laura Kerr, called Castor Bay, if you wanted an alternative.

Castor Bay is sublime album with his (fiddle) sister Laura. Available on Apple Music - and so I suspect Spotify et al also

‘Early Wood’.
I wondered if this LP was named after a tune.
But it’s not on the session.org tune list.
Do you think the title refers to getting up early in the morning and having to go out for fire wood?
Or is there another explanation?
Maybe waking up early only to find that you’ve already got wood and therefore no need to go out.

“Maybe waking up early only to find that you’ve already got wood and therefore no need to go out.”
Precisely.
Still not the best CD name, that honour goes to Damien O’Kane’s ‘Mystery Inch’

Along the lines of what’s similar, I’d also recommend Calum Stewart and Lauren MacColl’s album, Wooden Flute and Fiddle. The album is very easily available through the digital stores, plus it’s also on Lauren MacColl’s Bandcamp page.

That Calum Stewart and Laren MacColl “Wooden Flute and Fiddle” album is excellent. I bought the digital version on Amazon.

There are two flute tunes by Calum on his more recent “Tales from the North” album which is otherwise all Uilleann pipes, but worth a listen because I think it’s brilliant.

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your replies. I’m aware the two albums I’d mentioned are out of print, but I have copies of all the other albums by these two fine gentlemen anyways (Tales From The North, Cairn, Castor Bay etc).

Thanks for all your help!

James

Both artists have Bandcamp pages. Bandcamp allows you to contact an artist (not something I’ve tried myself yet) but I wonder if that could be worth a try, to see if they have a spare copy they’d be willing to sell to you.

Hi James, I’m feeling a bit generous this morning, don’t know why. Send me your address in a private message, and I’ll send you my copy of “Early Wood”. You’ll owe me a pint.

Posted by .

Thank you so much! Sent you a DM with my address.

Hi James - got your message, thanks. I’ll post the CD to you tomorrow, although I’m told for some reason there’s not a collection of mail until Saturday. I’ve just discovered a “hidden” 10 minute track at the end of the CD, which I don’t recall having noticed before, and from the listing here, nobody else seems to have mentioned either.
Could I request that the next time you come across a collection bucket for Ukraine in a supermarket or such, you drop a fiver in - that to me would be money to a good cause.
Cheers, Kenny

Posted by .

Hey Kenny,

I absolutely will, don’t you worry. Thanks so much for doing this by the way

James

I also found Earlywood (or at least, the original track names with their lengths) on Last.FM, which I’m not too familiar with. It seems to re-direct you to either Apple Music or YouTube when you try playing it, although the album is not on either of these platforms. So my guess based on what I’ve read about Last.FM, is that someone with the album uploaded it to their own personal collection and then the album data was put up on Last.FM, even though the album itself is not available.
I did, however, also find his version of “Looking At A Rainbow Through a Dirty Window” on Spotify in a “various artists” collection.