Trad on a train in China

Trad on a train in China

There was a video posted by Irishcentral.com with the above name in 2018 - can anyone tell me the names of these tunes they are playing? I haven’t been able to copy the link to the video but it should come up in a google search.

Re: Trad on a train in China

Is the first tune not Lucy Campbell?

One of the musicians calls out Lucy Campbell as the first tune, but they actually start playing The Bucks – then somebody manages to steer it into Lucy Campbell.

Thanks so much everyone

I know the first tune as the Bucks of Lucy Campbell’s

Not a train, but a boat - my wife and I enjoyed a visit to China in 1992. At that time it was only feasible as part of a tourist group. The trip included a 3 day sailing down the Yangtse. It’s a long story, but I had acquired 3 bamboo flutes a few days before the cruise. Rather than endure an evening of "The Captain’s Karaoke", we took the flutes and a bottle of "Great Wall" wine, and sat at the stern of the boat. A reel I had never played before, but had in my head, came out - Larry Redican’s "Culfadda", possibly the only time an Irish reel has come to maturity for a player while sailing the Yangtse river. I suppose stranger things have happened.

Posted by .

Great story Kenny!
Hope all’s well over there.

Keep safe and well everyone
All the best
Brian x

I hope that didn’t cause an ‘Incident’ - did anyone make a film about it?

"The Yangtse Incident" ? - how old are you, John ? 🙂 . To paraphrase a quote from the Sue Gray report, I "got away with it". The first thing I saw that morning on going on to the deck was the body of some poor drowned soul floating down the river. On reporting it to a crew member, he said he’d call it in and they would pick the body up down river. Fair puts you off your breakfast that does. Very tragic for for the poor gentleman and his family, but I was told it was quite a common occurence.

Posted by .

Also have played on a Chinese train, four years ago on a sleeper from Guangdong to Kunming, but it was just me playing for the entertainment of a coach of Chinese travellers. I did manage to play the most westerly session I’ve heard of in China when I met two other musicians in a hostel in Turfan. Great fun.

Hopefully that lifted the spirits of anyone suffering from Turfan Depression!