Fab! Thank you!

Re: For your delight and delectation

The joy of communal music making.

Brilliant! Great dynamics!

Love it! Thanks for posting this, put a big smile on my face. 😀👍
As I put it in my profile -
First rule of music making - enjoy it. End of rules.

Irish trad sounds amazing on marimbas. I got to play around on one in Guatemala. Something like a dulcimer.

Woah, that IS gorgeous, isn’t it.

We built a few marimbas based on that general pattern for our local primary school, back in the days our kids went there. It was quite a bit of work, but went fast enough once you got the hang of tuning the bars. And it was always such a happy sound to hear in the playground.

Loved it! Thank you

Posted by .

Aside from just being good music, the joy they showed in the playing brought a tear to my eye…

I mentioned above that we had made some marimbas “based on that general pattern” here in coastal New South Wales many years ago. The more I looked the more I realised the ones in the video are totally identical to the ones we made. How could that be? Turns out that Andy Rigby, a harpmaker from Victoria, had measured up some marimbas in Zimbabwe in the 80s, then collaborated with musician Jon Madin in the early 90s to develop a design that people could easily make here. Jon then published a book on how to make them, and the South Africans have adopted his design! Jon conducts workshops in schools and at festivals on building and learning to play the instruments. His website is at https://www.marimbamusic.com.au/

As you can see, Jon’s instruments are simple diatonically tuned. Easier to make, easier to play, but limited to whatever key you make it in. (You can have a set of spare bars to change to another key, but you can’t do that on the run!) Would we need a two-row marimba for Irish music? B/C or C#/D?

Absolutely delightful!

Posted by .

+1
Suddenly I want to session with marimba players—THOSE marimba players! What pure joy!

Posted by .

Thank you for keeping the best part!

Posted by .

I’ve tried a few simple trad tunes on the vibraphone I’m restoring. Kinda fun but absolutely not an instrument you’d haul to a session. 112 pounds and you have to disassemble it get it through a door.

The marimba in all its Glór-y …
Ahem!