Newly formed session police division class of 2022 graduation march…

Re: Newly formed session police division class of 2022 graduation march…

No shortage of accordeon bands in Northern Ireland and very nice they are too. They make a lovely contrast to the flute and drum bands in a parade. Pre-Covid I often joined in a session in Seapatrick where there would have been 3 or 4 guitars, a drumkit, a double bass, a flute, sometimes an uillean piper, and usually 7 or 8 accordeons. All pumping it out full tilt. It was always a smart move to bring an amplifier! I started bringing the 5 string banjo as it could be heard amongst all the accordeons and would also bring the fiddle. Sometimes I would strike it lucky and realise I knew a tune being played and play along on fiddle. Lots of hymns played - accordeonists are big on hymns. I carried a notebook and would have asked for names and keys of tunes played so I could practice them at home, but was surprised to find that plenty of the box players didn’t know either, just as bad as a lot of fiddlers in that respect! (Ducks for cover!) Some of them were self-taught and learned tunes by ear. Respect for that. The MC would call me to the mic for a couple of songs once or twice during the evening (this session/concert was open to the public. Players and public chipped in Β£2 each towards the rent and the tea and biscuits) and I would have given an intro to what I was about to sing, then turn to the musicians and tell them what key I was going to sing in. Playing and singing with maybe 20 backers. I loved every minute! Hope it starts back soon! Accordeon bands? I love them!
Alex.

Borderer, they are piano accordions, after all….
πŸ˜‰

Posted by .

Gimpy, I don’t have a problem with marching bands which have a mix of instruments (i.e. PAs). While the OP’s band has only button accordions and they are played perfectly (I’m sure all their hymns are right on the beat); their ties are neatly dressed & the caps aren’t cocked, it’s quite formal. My favourite bit though is the cymbals.

The band is extrordinary but I listen to loads of YouTube marching bands like this & I appreciate the less formal ones. Not to say I do not appreciate the Mullabrack Accordion Band @ Their Own Parade 2022; I do. Brilliant!

Posted by .

AB, my tongue-in-cheek comment was simply pointing out that the devil in Borderer’s Far Side cartoon wasn’t handing out just any old accordions, but *piano* accordions. Apparently button boxes wouldn’t be foul enough. πŸ˜‰

I enjoy any well-played accordion. Optimally, one at a time is plenty, tuned drier than wet is nice, and basses used sparingly.

Posted by .

Hello Michael

I hope you are well.

I don’t really think that the video, and associated video linkage attached, albeit auto-generated, is appropriate.
These are troubling times, not just in Ireland or Britain, but other places where ethnicity and/or origin might lead to conflagration.
Marching season is upon parts of Ireland, England and Scotland already.

Perhaps you might ask our moderator to remove the post.

With every kind wish
Brian x

Well said that man!

Posting this video is acceptable to me. I’m not ignoring the fact that Brian wants it removed because it is unacceptable to some here. I disagree but am willing to hear anyone who objects to my perspective. At this point I see no good reason to delete Michael’s original post.

Ben

Posted by .

I watched the video a few more times & while I’m very familiar with the hymns & the words which are associated with those melodies I think the clip really isn’t sectarian. Quite the opposite. Other videos from that channel are; but not the one posted by Michael Eskin.

Given the musical ability of the players and the fact that all the accordions are button boxes (not that I personally care) I have to say the warnings *against* having this video posted on this forum at this time they are not about what is on the video, the band, their uniforms nor the tunes being played.

On the other hand reading the comments on Facebook it’s a different story. Several of the comments are clearly sectarian in that they post the words from the hymns; even though the police graduates are playing melody for a march. Can we not appreciate the music & the playing or must we boycott all marching band videos? I hope thesession.org continues to have video clips exactly like the one posted here.

Posted by .

Jokes and ethnic conflicts aside, I found the clip enlightening in that it is another hitherto unknown (to me) piece in the complex jigsaw of Irish Traditional Music. The sectarian aspect had not occurred to me - as it, no doubt, had not to many of the thousands of non-Irish members of this site. I am grateful for having it pointed out to me and I appreciate that it is a sensitive subject for many but for me, the clip is merely portraying a musical tradition and is not inappropriate here. Whether or not the joke is in poor taste is another matter, and one that is beyond my judgement.

I don’t know if anyone else is finding this but ever since i played that clip of the accordion band I’ve had other videos of Loyalist marching bands [mainly flute] sent to my FB page. Not really my cup of tea and I have no wish to engage in that whole Ulster conflict scenario, though I did quite like the accordion band without attaching any political/religious significance to it.

Christy, the video channel is clearly Unionist to the umpteenth degree; make no mistake about that.
Your experience is yet another reason I’m not on Facebook. If I did have an account I’m sure I would
be getting the same recommendations of Loyalist marching bands in the feed as you are now.
Hopefully Facebook has a way to monitor this since it’s not anything you wanted(?)

Posted by .

AB - no not anything I wanted - but I get loads of stuff on Fb I don’t want - annoying but i don’t have to watch it!

Can’t see what the problem is! It’s music, it’s a tradition, it’s Irish (although most participants in the vdos would insist ‘Northern Irish’!). This site is not about political agendas. And anyway, Mr Eskin was only essentially having a laugh.

If Facebook is listing posts that you don’t want then just click on the three dots and select Hide All From {Whatever}. Eventually the algorithm gets the idea and finds some other totally inappropriate stuff for you instead.

"And anyway, Mr Eskin was essentially having a laugh."
Amen!

Posted by .

Uh, yeah… I had no political intent, more was thinking of absurdist "session police academy graduates" imagery.

Personally, I’m shocked that the video didn’t elicit the traditional mustard board dots vs. ear learning argument, because every accordionist had sheet music on a little stand while they marched! And those were very simple tunes. How hard could they be to memorize?
😜