Attention - Adelaide players

Attention - Adelaide players

I’m coming down to Adelaide for about a week. I see that the most recent session listed in the City of Churches was 6 years ago.

So, where are they now ?

Thanks, Simon

Re: Attention - Adelaide players

I think ”The Gov” session is still happening, that is The Governor Hindmarsh Hotel?????

There’s an introductory session at the Irish Club on Carrington St, City, on Monday nights. Tends to be more for people who like waltzes, ballads, the odd jig or energetic polka.

There’s a much more fast paced session, full of jigs and reels, on Friday nights at The Gov. That’s just outside the city, via a free tram Officially starts at 8, but people tend to rock up around 9.

There’s a few others in the outer burbs, and even country towns, but I don’t get that far out of town.

thanks muchly for that info.

I’ve been to the Adelaide Irish Club sessions a few times, admittedly, over 10 years ago now, but very friendly , welcoming people. They even invited me to play at the Mount Barker Highland Games with them, maybe 15 years ago. Out of the whole of Australia, my wife found herself standing next to a nurse there whom she used to work with in Aberdeen.
The session used to be a bit "dot dependent", most people playing sets of tunes from written music, but if you hang around till the end, the more experienced players will get together for a more "advanced" session.
I was sad to see that the "Dan O’Connell" session seems to have bit the dust. I did manage to get to the "Gov" once, and it was a very good session.

Posted by .

Kenny, there’s no longer any "advanced" session at the end, I’m afraid. Hasn’t been for years.

The Irish Club closes the bar at 10pm sharp on Monday, these days, presumably because the volunteers who staff it like to get up in the morning. This is all quite fair enough.

The result for the session, though, is that the more advanced players don’t come along anymore. Where do they go instead? I have no idea.