Andy Irvine’s lost instruments

Andy Irvine’s lost instruments

I’ve just seen a FB post from Andy Irvine, he’s at the Skagen Festival in Denmark and apparently the airline has lost his zouk and mando - he’s asking musicians in that part of Denmark for an emergency loan. Hopefully there might be some Danish Session members who can help out.

Re: Andy Irvine’s lost instruments

Hopefully there’ll be a happy outcome, losing instruments is definitely not a good feeling.

This is interesting because I was thinking recently of someone who had an instrument stolen. It was something like forty years ago and there is still this emotional impact. How would that instrument be located now? Did it hang on someone’s wall all that time?
I have very few instruments and they’re like pets to me.

And is the instrument a tool? Something that is part of the worker that cannot be separated?
Or is it like artwork where the object is just the remains after the art is performed?

Anyway so, really hope Andy gets his instruments back. It’s nice to know there’s a whole network of people together, musicians to help.

Hope he finds them soon! It’s an oft repeated story I never enjoy hearing.

For anyone else traveling with instruments as checked baggage (and same goes for any baggage) it really pays to drop an AirTag, iPhone, or even a set of AirPods into the bag. You can track your lost bag with Apple’s FindMy network just like you would if you lost your iPhone.

@atsunrise, I’ve never used them but there are a couple of free instrument registers (a bit like bicycle tags) where you register an instrument and are given a short code which people/police who find/are sold your instrument can use to trace you. Eg https://musictag.co.uk/

The idea being you put a sticker on your instrument or (shocked face) carve the number permanently on it somewhere.

The account can be transferred when you sell it.