Death of Seamus Tansey

Death of Seamus Tansey

I’ve been seeing posts from credible sources on Facebook this morning reporting that Seamus Tansey died yesterday.

Re: Death of Seamus Tansey

RIP Seamus. He was one of the best players to ever pick up the flute in my opinion. A controversial figure to some, to be sure. But no doubt Irish Music has lost a huge figure and one of it’s masters and largest exponents of ‘The Pure Drop’.

A force of nature.

RIP.

RIP.

RIP :(

We will never see the likes of him again.

Very sad to hear this.
He was an early inspiration to me.
It’s quite surreal that the first spark of inspiration for the flute came to him from an anonymous ( masked ) player.

RIP Seamus Tansey
Pat

So sorry to hear that Séamus died yesterday 09/07/2022. I remember him well, both visiting the Rotterdam in Belfast and afterward in my house (a late session) to the early hours. He and a few other musicians, including my daughter Deirdre (whistle), my sons Tony and Brian ( Fiddle and Flute) and myself mandoline. Wow! That was a few years ago. Nevertheless, a great loss to the music we love.
Suaimhneas Síoraí Séamus
Tony Friel Pp Irish Band “Slainte” Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia

Posted by .

Thanks for posting. I didn’t get to meet Seamus until later in his life, but he was bigger than life, and the world is now missing one of its most interesting and talented humans. RIP

Such a huge loss to the Trad world
R.I.P.

Posted by .

Another of the masters gone. RIP, Seamus. He wasn’t a saint, and had his scrapes and disagreements with many people over the years, but his conviction, strongly held opinions and dedication to Irish traditional music, and in particular, the music of his native county Sligo, were beyond question. He was the absolute personification of Sligo flute playing, in my opinion, and that above anything else will be his lasting legacy.
I was fortunate enough to hear him on a few occasions. “Ptarmigan” and myself went on a musical pilgrimage to the “Sense Of Ireland” festival - [ I think that was what it was called ] in 1980 in London, and he did a solo lunchtime concert which was musically absolutely spell-binding. On one memorable, and possibly unique, occasion, I heard Tansey in a session with Matt Molloy and Cathal McConnell in a tiny pub in Collooney at the Ballisodare Folk Festival. We ended up that night in company with Robin Morton, who went on to bring Tansey back to the studio for the “Easter Snow” recording made with members of Scotland’s “Battlefield Band” some years later. Robin was of the opinion that Tansey was being a bit competitive, and out to show them who was boss. He certainly had a huge ego, and belief in himself, but I have no beef with that if it can be backed up by knowledge and musical ability. The Irish traditional music scene moved on, but I don’t think Seamus wanted to go along with it. He fought his corner, stated his opinions in a very forthright manner on many occasions, which certainly got some people’s backs up, but was always true to himself and what he believed in. Irish traditional music, and Sligo flute playing in particular, has lost a great champion.
His first solo LP, recorded in 1967 was never released as a CD, as far as I know, - and I don’t think he ever bettered it in his subsequent recordings - the tracks are on Youtube as audios :
https://thesession.org/recordings/943

Posted by .