Advice on Buying Whistles and Backpressure

Advice on Buying Whistles and Backpressure

Hi all.
I’m keen to buy good quality low F and a High D whistles, but can’t try them in person (I’m in australia), so hoping to get some advice from people who have or have played some medium-high end whistles.

I’m looking for a whistle with a good backpressure, but not so much that the air is difficult to get through the whistle. I’ve owned a Goldie Low D (Med Blower) before which I liked. Not sure how that compares with the Goldie F though.

I’ve watched plenty of youtube videos, but not a lot of people actually comment on the dynamics of each whistle.

Any guidance or advice appreciated.

Blessings
Aaron

Re: Advice on Buying Whistles and Backpressure

For a high D whistle, I’d have to recommend a Killarney D brass whistle. Very bright and responsive and very easy to play. I tend to prefer brass as opposed to nickel whistles as they have a brighter sound, but everyone has their own preferences.

For a low F whistle, I would recommend the Kerry Optima alto F whistle. It is the older style, but I find it is much more responsive and has a nice bright quality I like similar to a Goldie, but a good bit cheaper. The ripple is also longer than the Busker whistles, which I have found tend to need more air than an Optima whistle, which makes it easier for me to tongue notes more frequently. Each and everyone to their own I guess, but those are my recommendations

https://killarneywhistle.com/?product=key-d-whistle
https://www.kerrywhistles.com/product-page/kerry-optima-tunable-alto-f

Hey James, thanks for the advice - i had a look at the Kerry Optima Alto F and it looks and sounds great. I already have a Killarney but its a little unreliable in high register and want to replace it. Also had a listen to the Optima Cobre Soprano D Whistle which sounded quite impressive.
Cheers
Aaron

I’m a fan of Goldie whistles.

I have a Goldie F which is hands-down the best Mezzo F I’ve ever played.

I called him, he played a half-dozen F’s he had to hand, and we seemed in perfect agreement which was the best for my way of playing, and my likes and dislikes.

About Killarney High D whistles, I have two, which both play great.

What do you mean by “unreliable in the high register”? Are you talking about 3rd octave notes?

Those aside, which I don’t think the designers of Killarney had in mind, the 2nd octave is exceptionally good on both my Killarneys. They’re completely reliable: every time I blow a note the same way the whistle responds the same way. (Which I would expect, because nothing about the structure of the whistle changes as I play.)

Richard Cook = Re Killarney D - Top Register.
I feel it is correct to discuss this with the makers first before sharing here. I realised I haven’t done that yet and it sounds like I should do so.

Life Music144,I was in a similar situation coming from australia,with not a lot of good whistles being in the country there was no way of trying anything,I did some research and I finally went with a burke brass session high d ,it is a great whistle in every respect and 100per cent satisfied .I also have a Mitch Smith OZ whistle made from cocobola high d it is also a great whistle in every respect,these whistles are not being made now which is unfortunate.From my experience with burke the whole process was excellent.In the future I will need a mezzo whistle in a and won’t hesitate with purchasing a burke.