Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

What instrument can you use in the miscellaneous competition (wind instrument wise)

Re: Miscellaneous

Ye can definitely use a piccolo. Seen those strange tube-blown keyboards too.

Melodica! Fairly mainstream and not strange in other musical circles!

I resorted to backing on a melodica at Trad Irish sessions when I had tendonitis/ RSI/ Carpal tunnel thing (see current thread ref. Blind Bard). I played it horizontal using the mouthpiece snake pipe thing. Here is the master: https://youtu.be/mjAXSYQRpQ8

This rather pompous direction is from the Comhaltas ‘rules’ (!) page:
Rogha Gléas / Miscellaneous: This category caters for all instruments, on which the melody
can be, and is played, not catered for in Solo Instrumental Competitions listed in Rule 8, 1-13. Electronic, mains
or battery-powered instruments are not accepted. In competitions for Rogha Gléas / Miscellaneous, a
competitor may compete on one instrument only. In all Miscellaneous competitions the instrument, and tuning
if relevant, being played shall be listed on the Official Fleadh Entry Form. This competitor / instrument
combination must be maintained at all subsequent Fleadhanna in that year. In all Fleadh programmes the
competitor listings for Miscellaneous Competitions shall include the competitor’s name and instrument.
So anything at all! As long is it doesn’t plug in or is a reed organ!

Lennart: yep! I was fascinated and tried to ascertain which instruments and just kept reaching the same information cul de sac as you!

I’m not sure why Miscellaneous is not included in the archives I’ve found online. I know that at some point Karen Tweed placed 1st on melodica. Banjo was not introduced as a category until 1975. London’s Mick O’Connor took first place in the Miscellaneous section in 1971, playing banjo. I’m wondering if anyone has won it playing tunes on guitar?

"As long is it doesn’t plug in or is a reed organ!"

There was me looking for the clause about reed organs… I realise now, you are talking about those little battery-powered organs with a fan that is louder than the notes themselves (I had one as a child – it was my introduction to the concept of dissonance), not the pedal-pumped reed organs* found in churches and chapels.

*In this contecxt, the term ‘reed organ’, as opposed to ‘harmonium’, is used for an instrument that works on a suction system, rather than a pressure system – i.e. one that draws air through the reeds, rather than blowing it through the reeds.

‘The following instruments are acceptable in Miscellaneous Competitions: Viola (body and bow), Single Row Accordion, 3 Row Accordion, 3 or 5 row Continental Accordion, Harmonica, Saxophone, Clarinet, Pipes
other than Uilleann Pipes, Bouzouki 6 and 8 string), Guitar (6string), Tenor Guitar (4string), Recorder, 5 string Banjo, fife, piccolo, hammer dulcimer and cello (body and bow). Any instrument not listed above needs to be classified as acceptable by the Ardchomhairle.’

Copied from https://comhaltas.ie/images/press_room/rialacha_fleadhanna_ceoil_2017_english.pdf.

Posted by .

But can you use a different keyed Flute/Whistle ??

Because my teacher said I could, she’s an adjudicator- but she wasn’t sure because it has been a while since she had adjudicated

An aside: My reed organ is a 1970s Bontempi, musically acoustic but relies on mains powered motor to blow (or indeed suck!) air over the reeds. It also has four bass/ chord buttons on the left (Bb, F, C, G). And it’s fabulously slightly out of tune with itself!

"… fabulously slightly out of tune with itself!"

The fleadh rules don’t say anything about instruments being in tune to qualify (although it might affect how you fare in the judging). So you’d just have to replace the fan with foot-operated bellows – or replace the electric motor with a treadle and flywheel.

Interesting: in Scotland the TMSA Festivals run competitions, but it seems that miscellaneous covers almost anything other than fiddles and piano accordions which have their own categories. I was in “miscellaneous “ with piano and B/C box and someone else on flute. I actually beat myself - one mark more for piano than accordion!
And yes, Yhaal House, melodica with the long tube is a good one for when you’re injured or otherwise incapacitated: it was the only thing I could play for a while after I broke my humerus.

Thanks Michael that Evan Powell is brilliant!

I would think the Melodica would be popular at sessions with people coming from Piano Accordion backgrounds due to the Melodica being far easier to transport, and having a much smaller footprint at crowded sessions.

But do they have enough volume? Does anybody make a really loud one?

Easier to carry than a piano too! And I think mine is pretty loud (Horner).

HOHNER!