Eb albums (esp. Flute)

Eb albums (esp. Flute)

Recently acquired a cracker of an Eb flute and am looking for repertoire to play along with. Matt Molloy by MM (doh!), a few tracks on Cnoc Bui by Conal O’Grada and also some on Catherine McEvoy’s Home Ruler plus a few on Louise Mulcahy’s Tuning the Road.. Any other suggestions?

Oh.. and I know there are a fair few Eb tracks on the Wooden Flute Obsession 1/2/3 albums (just to find them).

Thanks in advance..

Re: Eb albums (esp. Flute)

If you have a program such as The Great Slowdowner, you can get your key on any track you fancy.

Posted by .

Thanks for correcting the name, gimpy. Great program, cheap and easy to use. I’ve gotten much done with it and having just set up a hone recording studio, I will likely get much more. I like to record against various backing tracks that are not always in my preferred key.

Posted by .

I think many/most tracks on Mary Bergin’s Feadóga Stáin albums are with an Eb whistle.

Masters of Irish Music by Frankie Gavin & Alec Finn is another classic album in Eb (fiddle & zouk, tho)

Check John Creaven album Story so far (great album, he played Sam Murray D and E flat flutes), albums of Harry Bradley ( first, Bad turns and horse shoe bends.. and last, The first of May especially). Also some tracks on Good morning to your night cap two albums, Desi Adams on flute on those albums. Two solo albums of Paul McGlinchey, on Sam Murray flutes also. Also tracks on Tap room trio album, with HB, Jesse Smith and John Blake.
Marin

Check out The Open Road by Steph Geremia. Not only is the majority of it on an Eb flute (maybe all of it), it is also one of the best flute albums I have ever heard!

I would have to check on the pitch of the flute played on the album, but Frankie Gavin’s "Croch Suas E" may well be on an Eb flute. The photo on the front cover was of Frankie holding a Rudall and Rose flute - if I remember correctly - but he is on record somewhere as admitting that that particular flute was not used on the album, and was merely for the photo. You’ll find quite a significant quantity of "De Danann" tracks in Eb, I believe.
I will echo Reverend’s recommendation of Steph Geremia’s first CD[ the second one’s none too shabby either ! ].
Also just remembered, I’m fairly certain that the tribute album to Joe Cooley made by Frankie Gavin and accordion player Paul Brock was pitched in Eb too. If I’m correct with that, you won’t find a better recording of Irish music to play along with.

Posted by .

Awesome suggestions all round. Thanks everybody. Plenty of homework in that lot.

Downloaded Audacity - lot to unpick there. Very complex pro-audio app. Had abandoned it years ago when Sourceforge was only download and very dodgy. Didn’t realise I already had Capo (again from years ago). Both only handle unprotected audio - so the albums I have via Apple Music (lots!) can’t be transposed this way. But Capo (or Audacity) great option for the many ripped CDs I have - including the full Foinn Seisiun set and now any of the tracks from Wooden Flute Obsession 1..3 can also be made Eb friendly.

@Reverened - I’m a huge fan of Steph Geremia. If it was possible to wear out a digital album, the atoms of that one are well spun indeed. Another Galway lady fluter worthy of note - Kirsten Allstaff - her Four/4 album super energy.

@Kenny.. checked Croch Suas É.. plenty of Eb action there too. Good spot.

Of course with the above tools I will soon be able to play Kevin Crawfords re-mastered ‘Eb’ flute album - the one he should have made! LOL

Appreciated all the feedback guys. Cheers

As a Flute player I like it a lot to play to a solo fiddle recording (or in a session with fiddle players…) because of the way the sound of these two instruments blends together.

Therefore you might like Tommy peoples solo recordings, I believe they are mostly in eb?

@gbyrne - Kirstin Allstaff is from Scotland originally, and living in Clare, last I heard. Has she moved to Galway ?

Posted by .

@Kenny - mea culpa, I thought she was in Galway. Jeez, Co. Clare has a lot of very fine flute playing ladies without adding another one. My favourite track on that Four/4 album is the Tico Tico tune and it is my (long term) ambition to be able to play it some day. Kirsten has a lovely Scottish twang to her playing and huge energy.

@Steve Bliven - bought that album straight away. That’s John - dad of Shane and Dylan - isn’t it? I bought my first (real) flute off him up in Cryans in Carrick on Shannon in early 2018. An 8-key anonymous Rudall style one. At the time I had an 8-key on order from Mike Grinter (RIP) which was to come some time in mid-2019.

John Carlos - lovely man, super musician. If there is such a thing as the Pure Drop; he’s it!