Name this tune please

Name this tune please

Can anyone recognise this tune? I recorded the very end of it during a session at Willie Clancy week earlier this year and never got the name of it. Thanks.

https://vocaroo.com/139yUHkAg7Ww

Re: Name this tune please

Lovely, thank you.

Thanks for sharing the clip. Would enjoy hearing more of that!

Posted by .

Jeff, the two tunes are closely related and can basically be played over one another. Perhaps Primrose Lasses is the more widely played of the two?

Posted by .

I think jeff’s right, although I was about to post that it was "Johnny MacIljohn’s" [ first tune I ever posted here]. You couldn’t play them over one another as is - "PL" is in G, "JMcI", s in D, but if you transposed them into the same key as one another, that may well be the case.

Posted by .

I originally learned Primrose Lasses in D, so the two tunes overlap for me, hard to keep them distinct in my head.

Regardless, I agree—I’d go with Primrose Lasses.

Posted by .

I think of them as two distinct tunes, and besides from starting on different parts, I think they’re different enough - at least in order to be played over one another.

Under the McIljohn entry, people do think they’re related. Interestingly enough, Kenny says:
"Johnny McIljohn’s " reel is a variant of the "Silver Spear".

I didn’t actually say that, jeff - it was a quote taken from an LP sleeve by "The Boys Of The Lough", I think their 3rd "Live" one.
Dow made the observation of the similarity between the 2 tunes 19 years ago, apparently.
I was slightly off the mark above. The first tune I posted was actually the "other" second "Johnny McIljohn’s", aka "Lady Montgomery".

Posted by .

Johnny McIljohn’s, yes, sounds familiar from a long ago Boys of the Lough lp - I think Cathal and Robin did some lilting as well as playing on it?

Yup.
Primrose Lass