Best whistle CDs?

Best whistle CDs?

Apologies if this’s been covered already.
I’m looking for some top-notch tin whistle CD’s, preferably trad - i’ve got a lot already which i’ll list some of for other people’s collections:
Angela Deane - Cuisle (haven’t heard yet, its in the post. Bought it on the strength of hearing her at the Fleadh.)
Brian Hughes - The Beat of the Breath
Whirlwind
Whistlestop
Deiseal/ Cormac Breatnach - got everything, not very trad but still…
Diarmaid Moynihan - Lights of Ranzanico (& all the CD’s he did with Calico)
Mary Bergin - Feadoga Stain I & II
…………..wierd. I’ve got a LOT which are flute/ low whistle/ uilleann pipes but fewer tin whistle CD’s than i thought.

Re: Best whistle CDs?

thanks gimpy. I definitely come across him on youtube before.

Joanie Madden from Cherish the Ladies and Pride of New York has some solo albums. There are a bunch of slow airs on them which I find very relaxing to listen to.

Oh, and also Tom McHale and Vinnie Kilduff.

Sean Potts, ‘Number 6: Irish traditional music on the tin whistle’, NPU CD 018, 2010. Published as a fundraiser for Na Piobairi Uileann.

And I concur with the recommendation of the Sean Ryan CDs!

Posted by .

PS - “HappyCamper” - if you’d like a copy [ original ] of Vinnie Kilduff’s “The Boys From The Blue Hill”, send me your address in a PM. I’ve got an extra copy.
Also just remembered : https://thesession.org/recordings/113

Posted by .

Lovely playing by Sean Ryan in that Youtube clip - I’m surprised to see it was posted by Jack Gibbons, superb classical pianist.

Posted by .

Posted by .

Kenny: “… everybody forgotten about Micho ?”

Not everybody

I’ve always enjoyed the CD’s of Gavin Whelan’s music, I’m not a whistle player, but I appreciate the purity of the tunes on his work.
http://gavinwhelanmusic.com

And, Enda Seery makes great music, I’ve got two of his three albums, and look to get the third shortly.
http://www.endaseery.com/store.html

Anything by Michael McGoldrick is good

another good one: Kathleen Conneely “The Coming of Spring”

Posted by .

I used to have ‘Tin Whistles’ by Paddy Moloney and Sean Potts. One of the first Irish CDs I ever owned. I think I have lost it/lent it

@Kenny I’d agree with you there in that Micho Russell’s whistle playing is just fantastic.

For anyone who wants something a bit more modern perhaps, I’d recommend Kevin Meehan’s album ‘Spanish Point’. Lovely music he makes.

Alex Green - Whistle O’er the Lave O’t is a favorite of mine. I got it on Apple music.

“Alex Green - Whistle O’er the Lave O’t”

It is an interesting recording in that it features a whistle being used very competently but *very* differently from any Irish (or, indeed, Scottish) player I have ever heard. He presumably learned in an environment where there were few or no other whistle players to learn from and developed his own style, based on the local (Northeast Scottish) fiddle style, with very little, if any, reference to piping.

Aside from the obvious…in recent years four really great whistle albums (all mentioned above):

Kathleen Connelly, All Jokes Aside (with John Coyne and Sean Clohessy)
Brid O’Donoghue, Tobar an Dúchais
Noreen O’Sullivan, The Quiet House
Pat Walsh, Simply Whistle

All four are exceptional whistlers.

Angela Deane’s Cuisle (if you can find it) is also excellent

Posted by .