Yet another tune ID? Thanks!

Yet another tune ID? Thanks!

I’m obsessed with/learning this first tune in this set from Lunasa track, but would like to be able to tell people what it’s called? I checked and there appears to be no tune called “Morning Nightcap” on thesession.org so I’m stuck…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pDGc8xUX94

Thank you very much to anybody who knows!

Re: Yet another tune ID? Thanks!

Such instant gratification!
Thank you, Triplet! 🙂

I see that somebody even exactly transcribed what Sean Smyth plays … I feel very spoiled!

Hi cancion,
For future reference, you can often resolve such questions yourself by visiting the ‘Recordings’ section of thesession.org. Just search for the album in question and chances are someone has listed and linked the actual tunes played for each track. (No guarantee they’ve done so correctly, of course— but you are free to edit as well!)

Posted by .

“I see that somebody even exactly transcribed what Sean Smyth plays … I feel very spoiled!”

For what it’s worth, a little more than 20 years ago, I transcribed the entire album note-by-note, including 2nd time, 3rd time etc. I’m sure I have the ABCs somewhere…

Thank you for the tip, jond! I will start looking in there.

Jeff, that is quite an impressive undertaking…So you were able to play along with the whole album from beginning to end!!

I know the original question has been answered but there was a secondary comment/question in there about there being no entry for Morning Nightcap. Not sure if you wanted to find that as well. It is here: https://thesession.org/tunes/513

Ah yes, thanks!

So now I see that the tunes in this set are:
MacLeod’s Farewell / Morning Nightcap / The Malbay Shuffle
( and that the set was named after Tune #2. )

( And to “triplet”, I wanted to add…this set is full of gorgeous matching echoing triplets by every instrument! 🙂

“So you were able to play along with the whole album from beginning to end!!”

Well, that has nothing to do with transcribing the tunes. That has been my way to learn and maintain the repertoire since day 1.

Hmm that’s an interesting method! Learning by writing down the notes. Efficient too, because then you have created a personal record to refer to.

I haven’t thought about how I learn…“listen to it a lot” and “play it back”, I guess. I keep a written list of tunes I’ve learned on a folded paper in my case (now up to colossal number of 54) and every once in a while I’ll look it over and think, “I haven’t played that one for a while!” and dust it off…(I feel like this could get stressful as the list grows, maybe better not to keep the list, ha.) Anyway your way sounds organized.

I meant that playing along is my main method to learn and maintain.

Oh! Got it.
Yes, me too! 🙂