pipemaker Dave Williams has passed away

pipemaker Dave Williams has passed away

Got this from the uillean email list:

—-
Hutchinson, Patrick to uilleann
More options 2:33pm (23 minutes ago)

Becky Taylor just informed the other list that pipemaker Dave Williams was killed in a car crash yesterday.
Details will follow. Sad news indeed.
—-

I don’t know what the "other list" is.

Re: pipemaker Dave Williams has passed away

That’s really sad news.

I think the other list she refers to is the Chiff and Fipple uilleann pipe list.

Kate

Damn fine maker and person………….

When I’ve considered pursueing such madness, 7 years times three and then some, when I’d had a bit too much fairy dust or drink, it’s Dave I would have turned to for the lark, sweet pipes, not rocket ships, and a fine one to sit across a table with and chat about related and unrelated things…

WE heard last night, a phone call passed on via the network of pipers around the country, at a practice and couldn’t believe it. Tim and Colman, the pipers in our band, use Dave Williams pipes and had been speaking to him the day before. Needless to say it was a subdued evening but we played the tunes for him. What else could we do?

Sorry, that was meant to be We not WE although it scarcely matters.

I wish I could have met the man. He was much more than just a pipe maker, and he really was one of the best pipe-makers ever.

-Dirk

Posted by .

Terribly sad news. May he rest in peace.

Posted by .

Dave Williams - Funeral Details

Just to notify those that wish to attend, Dave Williams’ funeral details follow:

Thursday 28th October, 3:40pm

Grimsby Crematorium
Weelsby Avenue (off Weelsby Road)
Grimsby
DN32 0BA
England

Family flowers only

I think many people may be taking instruments to give Dave a good send off after the service, however I suppose everyone will just be doing what they feel comfortable with.

Please feel free to spread the word as I’m sure there’re many people who’d like to know these details.

Kind Regards

Tim Dowd Jnr

Posted by .

Go raibh ma’agat for the links, as hard as they were to read. I knew him for only a short time, but have the utmost respect for him as kind, generous, informed and a really fine instrument maker and musician, and the inspiration that made me consider taking up the pipes and wanting the money to order a set from him… I hope when all is done, that there is a session where we will all meet again and have the pleasure of his company…

I’m not a piper - just festival/club organiser and longstanding, very close friend of Dave Williams. There will be a chance to play after the funeral on Thursday and details of the venue will be announced at the crem. Thanks, Tim, for posting funeral details.
Sue Houston

My name is Marc Guilloux, I play a fantastic 4 regs D set made by Dave Williams in 1982, and was an early customer for him. I’ve met him many times in his workshop, talking and playing.
I’m very affected by the sad news, the only thing I can do is to dedicate a slow air to him every time I play.

Repose en paix, tes pipes résonneront toujours pour toi dans le futur pour le plus grand plaisir de celles/ceux qui en jouent et celles/ceux qui les écoutent…

pictures and videos of the set (set with a loop at the top of the bass regulator) available at www.napiobairi.com