Mandolin tuner visible in daylight

Mandolin tuner visible in daylight

Inspired by “Play on the Porch” Saturday, I ventured outside to share my hobbled renditions of what ITM tunes I know. In doing so, I discovered I can’t see my tuner LED screen outside, even in the shade. Any suggestions for a make and model that is visible in the daylight. One important point, Yes I turned it on before I went outside.

Re: Mandolin tuner visible in daylight

I had this problem recently and a battery change fixed it!

The newest model of Snark tuners have a brighter screen than the previous models - I can tune the A string on my fiddle in broad daylight quite easily with it. Although it’s Winter here in Australia, so I guess I haven’t tested it in very bright sunlight yet

Yes I find my Snark is visible in bright daylight [ you might have to look at it in your own shadow, or at least shade it with your hand] and here in the south of England we’ve had one of the sunniest summers in living memory………….

A tuning fork works in any level of light

As do ears.

Posted by .

I have recently changed to a tc electronics Polytune because of the sunlight problem. Although it has some guitar-specific features it works perfectly well as a strobe tuner for any instrument and is BRIGHT. Having only used it for a few weeks its battery consumption and reliability are unknown but it certainly cures the problem. The only draw-back is that they are expensive, around £30 in UK.

I’ve been playing for over 50 years and I still cannot tune accurately by ear, especially in a noisy environment so an electronic tuner is essential for me. Same goes for a tuning fork, great in a quiet setting but only does one string, the rest still have to be done by ear. If you are lucky enough to have a good ear please do not disparage those of us who are not so gifted; at least with a tuner we can still have a well tuned instrument that is pleasing to hear.

Posted by .

TC electronics also make a cheaper version of the Polytune, called the “Unitune” - it’s got less bells and whistles than the Polytune but works just as good.

give up or go back to the 1980-ies. today, bright colours and high-contrast is out, sepia colours and perpetual “night mode” is in.

“As do ears.”

I was going to say something like that too but I restrained myself. 🙂

Electronic tuners are good in noisy environments including some pub sessions although you obviously don’t tune when others are playing. I find that I usually still need to “fine tune” by ear though, especially to make sure that the strings are in tune with each other.

I beg to differ; I can tune during a session just fine. With a tuner, I can quietly play the dominant notes of the tune, in time like a very very quiet drone, with the tuner on and make adjustments. I sometimes do this during live performances and never had anyone notice!

As to the OP, I find the Peterson strobe tuner works well in daylight, unless I have polarized sunglasses on. Then all bets are off.