Killarney whistle Eb question

Killarney whistle Eb question

Hello All,
Knowing next to nothing about this, can anyone tell if a Eb Killarney whistle can tune up to F? Again, this is not my area so any help is appreciated. And I assume that the Eb is ‘middle’ Eb..
Thanks very much.

Re: Killarney whistle Eb question

That’s nearly a wholestep up. Why not just get a whistle in F?

Would likely be easier trying to flatten a G whistle down to F than bringing an Eb up to F.

I think BlindBard has the right of it. From where I sit, tuning (by which I mean moving the whistle head) enough to change your bell-note a whole step will seriously distort all the other notes in the scale.

I’ve got one, and there’s no way you can push the head in far enough for F. Even if you performed radical surgery on the barrel with a hacksaw, my guess is the scale would be distorted like postie says. If you want to play a tiny wee F whistle, i’d have a look at a Freeman tweaked, i think he might do them.

Generation F whistles are often just fine right out of the box and are certainly the least expensive way to get started. If you then want to move toward the sound and feel of a Killarney whistle, you can take the Generation body and put a Killarney Eb head on it. It’s a loose fit but a few wraps of PTFE tape or dental floss can easily deal with it. This brings the whistle noticeably and usefully in the Killarney direction and the tuning is no better or worse than that of the stock Generation.

I realize that you don’t have a Killarney Eb or you wouldn’t be asking, in the first place. But I do — and thanks for setting me on the path toward adding an F whistle to my line-up of Sindt-derivate instruments!

I can’t edit my preceding comment any longer so this is a PS to it. The same head is used on both the Killarney D and Eb whistles, and work equally well on a Generation F body. (I don’t know why I didn’t think of testing that before chiming into the discussion.)

Thank you all, that’s very helpful advice.

Whistles will usually tune down to some extent and the player can use breath control to adjust some tuning variation. I have a Killarney Eb and have been able to tune it down to D fairly successfully. Why? Carrying one whistle to cover D & Eb it can be helpful and avoids carrying too many instruments.

Here is a video I made using a Killarney D & Killarney Eb - see if you can tell the difference - in the video I play Homer’s Reel on one and then on the other. Can you tell which is which?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hph6iHXdbkA