Tone Poems II - Davis Grisman/Martin Taylor

Tone Poems II - Davis Grisman/Martin Taylor

I’m looking for a copy of the book originally published by Mel Bay with the Mandolin score of the CD “Tone Poems II” by David Grisman/Martin Taylor. This is a great CD and well worth a listen. There is a copy for sale on Amazon for $99 but hoping to find something a bit more affordable. Does anyone know where I might obtain a copy of the book?

Posted by .

Re: Tone Poems II - Davis Grisman/Martin Taylor

Since the book is Dawg music, not Irish trad, you might have better luck posting your query on the forums at mandolin cafe: https://mandolincafe.com/

Posted by .

You could just go to the source. Try Dawg’s website acousticdisc.com.

Ed, that would make sense, but a quick peruse of the Acoustic Disc website doesn’t reveal any hits on Tone Poems, the CD or the book.

It would also make sense to go to the Mel Bay website, but the book listing there shows only books (one for guitar, one for mandolin) for the original Tone Poems CD with Tony Rice, not for Tone Poems II. Can’t imagine why they’d let the book go out of print. They could at least offer it as an e-book (as they do for the original).

Since the book was published through Mel Bay, maybe MarkT’s best bet would be to inquire directly with Mel Bay Co.: 1-800-863-5229 or email@melbay.com.

Posted by .

Thanks for this response. It at first looked like a promising lead but after clicking on the link to Blackwell.co.uk the following webpage shows that this title is “Not available for sale”.

Posted by .

Mark, chances are fair that if you post your query on the jazz forum at Mandolin Cafe, someone will have a copy that they’re willing to part with. Or at least point you to a source.

Posted by .

Inter library loan (ILL) is a great way to get this book, too.

As a former librarian, I’d say definitely don’t rule them out! 🙃

Dave has a FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/DavidDawgGrisman
You could probably message him through that, or just post a Q.
He’s quite approachable, IIRC 🙂 .

Posted by .