Fiddlevideo.com

Fiddlevideo.com

Anyone used this website recently? It’s a bit pricey, so I was wondering if it’s possible to sign up for a month and download the videos and cancel again. Mainly interested in Kevin Burke’s videos to learn a wee bit of his ornamentation and bowing style. Cheers

Re: Fiddlevideo.com

Hi Flinty,

I’ve looked at the site a few times, but never used it. After seeing your post I might just do - I’m interested in the “triple chop” by Niall Murphy, the most challenging fiddle technique ever!

Looking at the description of the lessons deal, you can’t download the video, just the audio, but you can cancel any time (it specifically says that).

There are fairly easy ways to duplicate a video in real time, but I’m not sure of the legal position here. I’d guess that if it’s just for your own use and you don’t disseminate it, it should be OK.

imo $45 for a month of lessons from several big boys (and girls) is most certainly not pricey. Plus you get to download the custom sheet music too.

I have used this site and I thought it was really good value. You have access to all of the instructors, (who are all top class) with sheet music and mp3 recordings of the tunes. For me, the best way to use it was to sign up for three months, use it as much as my attention span and time would allow, then take time out and then sign up again when I needed another boost. There are also free lessons on the site and special discounts if you are a first time user or a long time user returning.
Be aware that your subscription renews automatically, unless you cancel.

Id be interested to see or hear this „triple chop“ in the wild…?

The triple chop (and many other chop variations) has been a mainstay of many newgrass and contest style fiddlers in America for years. The Ludikers, Andy Leftwich, and of course Darol Anger, etc. Chopping is useful in a band situation where fiddle can provide the crisp back beat chop while mandolin takes a solo. But I’ve never liked chopping, no matter how well done. when I’ve heard it applied to Irish music.

Posted by .

Re: Technnique

On the Cormac and Brendan Begley series on RTE 4 player (towards the end of the second episode), there is a clip of two classically trained Irish fiddlers playing Irish music with great skill and sensitivity. They make great use of the chop technique, and use pizzicato as well.

Do I like it? It isn’t quite my cup of tea but I am all for stretching the parameters of the music. When a tradition becomes frozen it stops developing and will soon die. I appreciate the accomplishment and courage of the two fiddlers. And I welcome the younger players with their fresh appreciation of the tradition and their willingness to expand the tradition.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/categories/irish-music-series/?series=Sl%C3%AD%20na%20mBeaglaoich&genre=Ceol

David, when it comes to chopping, we may not be in the same boat but we’re likely in the same water: “I can appreciate the skill and openness to experimentation, but I don’t really like it.” 🙂

To be clear, to my taste, it just doesn’t sound right for this music. I do chopping myself when playing other genres, just not Irish trad. It’s particularly well suited to bluegrass where the chop is deeply rooted in mandolin and banjo backup.

Posted by .

I am curious about “you have access to all of the instructors”. Does this mean they instructors would answer questions by email (reasonably quickly)? One can send them an audio/video clip and they listen/watch it and suggest improvements, etc (reasonably quickly)? One can book 30/60 min zoom meetings for one-on-one q&a or lesson (at extra cost, or included in the subscription)?

mandocello8, There is no back and forth consultation with instructors. All the lessons are pre-recorded. Possibly some of the instructors also do private lessons, but that is not advertised on the Fiddlevideo website.
What I meant by “access to all the instructors” was that with your subscription you can watch/ listen to any or all of the instructors on the site. I should have said “access to all the lessons”.