Colin Irwin RIP

Colin Irwin RIP

Only just heard of the death of Colin Irwin, longtime journalist for Melody Maker and Folk Roots - while he mainly covered the wide spectrum of British folk music , he covered articles and interviews with amongst others Christy Moore and Dolores Keane and even produced a stage play about banjo playing traveller Margaret Barry.
Maybe only a peripheral connection with Irish trad but I remember his articles fondly at a time when’ folk ’ just meant Donovan, Joan Baez or Dylan and precious little was ever written about any traditional music.

Re: Colin Irwin RIP

Sorry to hear this.

I remember really enjoying his book “In Search of The Craic - One Man’s Pub Crawl Through Irish Music”. (At one festival he managed to get “Fields of Athenry” sung seven times in one evening in various different hostelries.)
Might just get it off the shelf for another peruse.

Yes I’m also saddened to hear this. And also enjoyed In Search of the Craic. One review I read on this book was not too favourable - which I thought was very unfair. It did what it said on the tin, a kind of pub crawl through session pubs, fleadhs, etc and wasn’t intended to be an encyclopedic guide to the music. It was an engaging and humourous account of his exploits and thus well worth a read. He came across as the kind of guy you wouldn’t mind sitting down and enjoying a couple of pints with.

Yes, I enjoyed reading his reviews in Melody Maker during the seventies.

Although I have always enjoyed traditional and folk music, I was distracted a little at that time and flirted with various forms of prog rock through to punk etc. However, all forms of music have the propensity to be good.

Anyway, I still listened to “our kind of music” then as well and Colin Irwin’s finger was always on the pulse. I was always grateful for his knowledge and recommendations.

Didn’t he do the sleeve notes on one of the Bothy Band albums? I seem to recall him describing Paddy Keenan as the Jimmy Hendrix of the pipes.