Names of these polkas

Names of these polkas

Names of these polkas? - thanks

Re: Names of these polkas

We’d need a video or something…

Yes, we’ll need something before we can provide the “polka dots”. 😉

I know them very well but my mind has gone blank on the titles. They’ll be here in the tune section though. I’m quite sure.

The “Campdown Races” is included in the set too but I’m sure you’ll know that already. 🙂

Sharon was looking great and full of enthusiasm back in the day. She’s still a great player, of course.
I remember going to see her in “Whelans” when I was in Dublin just after Christmas in 1991.
It was either her or Pavarotti who was doing an open air gig that night.

Everybody thought we were mad missing out on Pavarotti and they may have been right. However, Sharon’s gig was great and she was a wonderful new musical discovery at the time.

They’re called the Newmarket polkas

The last one is also familiar 😂

The first 2 are collectively the Newmarket Polkas - not sure how many Newmarket Polkas there are? Could have done without Jingle Bells on the end ……………Bah Humbug!

Also “Jingle Bells” 😉

Sorry, just realised that Christy also posted. It’s a “fun” tune though.

Thanks folks, I’ve heard them before but couldn’t put a name to them.
I first saw Sharon play a free concert outside McGanns pub in Doolin summer of ‘89 0r ’90 - she was great!

That’s a lot of fiddlers.

Most of the fiddlers I didnt know apart from Mairead ni Mhaonaigh and Nollaig Casey - but I did spot Begley and Cooney in the back line! Hard to believe that was 30 years ago.

You’ve also got Ciaran Tourish towards the bottom left, Mairead Nesbitt to his right, and Máire Breatnach to her right. I’m wondering who the left-handed flute player is up the back, and I don’t know the 2 fiddlers to his left.
The dancers are an interesting bunch too. Unless I’m mistaken, I see Brendan Begley [ in his “hairy” days ], Liam O’Maonlai of “The Hothouse Flowers”, and Dolores Keane. The after show party must have been good.

Posted by .

Isn’t that Gary Shannon on flute, Kenny? Mike Scott of The Waterboys is on the piano and Trevor Hutchinson’s on bass.

Gerry ‘Banjo’ O’Connor’s on mandolin at the very right of the top row. Tommy Hayes is right at the back? Is that Mick Kinsella on the harmonica?

Posted by .

I think you’re right with Gary Shannon, GW, also Mike Scott and Trevor Hutchinson, and I think Mick Kinsella.
However - top right is Eoin O’Neill on bouzouki. I don’t see Tommy Hayes, the guy at the back whom can barely be seen is behind a drum kit, and I think is Noel Bridgeman who played with the Donal Lunny Band.
[ Apparently he passed away last year, I hadn’t noticed that. RIP ].
I also noticed Mary Shannon dancing. It appear that the Shannon family were out mob-handed that night, and I’m wondering if the fiddler at 1m26 and also 1m49 is their sister Majella. I found a clip of the 4 Shannons on Youtube, over 20 years later than the clip above, but there is a resemblance. The fiddler to her right is barely visible at the start, but still unknown to me.
The 12-string guitar player I would guess is Gerry O’Beirne, only because he’s one of the few Irish guitarists I know of who plays the instrument. Very difficult to see. There’s another player to his right , between him and Steve Cooney - again, can hardly see him at all.
Anyone ?
PS - you’ve got to love Sharon, she enjoys her music so much, it’s infectious. She was in Scotland on a Comhaltas tour a few years before she became famous through her first CD, possibly 1986. A friend of mine, Nigel Jelks from Forfar, recently departed, and much missed from sessions in Scotland, got talking to her at the end of the concert and asked her if she might record a few tunes for him. About 2 weeks later, a tape arrived from Ireland with about 30 - 40 mins of music recorded in her kitchen. I may even still have a copy of the tape.

Posted by .

I had a few great sessions with Nigel Jelks, Kenny. He had a huge repertoire and he could play, but he was always extremely generous and friendly with me. A sad loss.

Yep, that’s definitely Noel Bridgman (the specs give it away) and, mea culpa, of course it’s Eoin O’Neill.

The two fiddlers in between Ciarán T and M ní M are Mary Custy and Siobhán Peoples.

Yep, that’s Gerry O’Beirne and I too have no idea who’s between him and Beardy and Weirdy (their own term, not mine).

That still leaves the two fiddlers between Gary Shannon and Eoin O’Neill.

Posted by .

@ GW - Philip King on harmonica.

“The two fiddlers in between Ciarán T and M ní M are Mary Custy and Siobhán Peoples”. No, they are not.
They are Mairead Nesbitt and Maire Breatnach.
Siobhan Peoples, Nollaig ni Chathasaigh and Mairead Nesbitt are the 3 female fiddlers in this video :
https://youtu.be/mvBFLeughic

Gerry O’Beirne, Maire Breatnach, Sharon Shannon, and Trevor Hutchinson here :
https://youtu.be/j04gwqAhCPY

Philip King - yes, thank you Fionan.

Posted by .

Mairead Nesbitt would have been 13 in 1992! It’s Mary Custy.

Posted by .