Help please - what are these reels?

Re: Help please - what are these reels?

The Wedding Reel / Swinging on the Gate

Someone will now probably jump in and turn this thread into another treatise about the hijacking of name of the tune commonly called “The Wedding Reel”, because that’s what we do here… 🙂

“Someone will now probably jump in and turn this thread into another treatise about the hijacking of name of the tune commonly called “The Wedding Reel”, because that’s what we do here…”

Bertie Bumstead, I don’t think that will necessarily happen.

Much appreciated, thanks Michael

Wedding Reel = McLeod’s Farewell!

Here we go… 🙂

Actually, Michael, I think you both answered Mark’s question and made him learn something else in the process! Hopefully, it doesn’t devolve into more discussion (argument?) about the name of that tune, like it did a few weeks ago, a few months ago, and a few years ago! (https://thesession.org/discussions/search?q=wedding+reel) 😉

Ha! Michael, thanks again. You indeed answered my question, and then I promptly searched on this site for the Wedding Reel but couldn’t find it. So what does one do in such a situation? Of course I asked the Gods of the Interweb. Sure enough, I found someone playing the Wedding Reel on Youtube and commenting, in passing, that the “real” name was McLeod’s Farewell, which indeed appears here on thesession.org. Now I can follow along with dots on the page (or screen), which I don’t like doing but it does quicken things when you want to learn a tune.

The fun irony of all this is that I posted my comment thinking it would be a public service to others who might read through this thread without even noticing that I had also inadvertently started an exchange over a name, just as you had warned against!

And now I’ve prolonged that with 2 more paragraphs…

mW

LOL don’t worry…I started a discussion with this same question just a little while ago!

People on this forum patiently explained (for the 67th time?) that the Wedding Reel is MacLeod’s Farewell…🙂
It’s a great fun tune though, enjoy!

Makes a good set with “The Divorce Mazurka” and “The Alimony Hornpipe”.

Ha ha at a session recently someone said “let’s play The Wedding Reel that’s not actually The Wedding Reel” and nobody even questioned it. We just were like “oh yeah good tune.”

A friend likes to pair Behind the Haystack with Haste to the Wedding….