Polka identification request

Polka identification request

Dear All,

Can someone be able to identify the Polka that Cormac Begley briefly plays with the button accordion at ca. minute 13.21 in this documentary?

https://youtu.be/_e0napKY2bk?t=800

Thanks in advance!!

Posted by .

Re: Polka identification request

Thank you so much Brailsford!! Yes it definetely looks like that.

Thanks again for your very kind help

Posted by .

First time I ever saw Cormac playing accordion rather than concertina! V. interesting wee documentary, grazie Alez.

You’re welcome Christy!! Yes I was surprised too, for me Cormac is the absolute “concertina man”.

if anyone’s interested in hearing more jew’s harp in Irish music & co I created a YT playlist over a year ago, now it has more 370+ videos in it!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEeBHZlVNxrgC7bfJ3AqokGmsvnOfiCL3

Posted by .

Does anyone have a title for the reel played on the jew’s harp at 14;15 ? [shortly after Cormac’s accordion polka]
The reel is familiar to me but I can’t think where I heard it before. Thanks!

Hi Christy

Might it be
Anything for John Jo?

Just guessing
All the best
Brian x

Nah, Brian, that’s not it, but I hear the similarities. I recognise it from somewhere. Harry B. and Michael Clarkson I think, but I’m going back to watch the 2nd half of Wales v. Iran. It’ll come to me.

Posted by .

Yes that would be interesting, by the way I am desperately trying to identify that particular recording played at 14:15… is it a field research recording? Or was it commercially published in an album? Who is the player?

Because it doesn’t seem to be John Wright playing, my guess is Rick Epping, but who knows? I asked to the ITMA and they don’t seem to know, I tried to send a message to Cormac Begley some time ago but for now no answer.

Posted by .

Port Mháirtín Shéamuis or Ríl Mháirtín Shéamuis, theme music for RnaG.

Oh thank you so much ismiselemeas!
In fact i’ve heard that RnaG had once a theme played on the jew’s harp but I never had the occasion to hear it!!
Can you give us a link? Can it be found somewhere separately?

Posted by .

Yes, I think CMO has cracked it! Thanks everyone.